Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2019 9:30 pm  #1

Did anyone see tRUMP's "white tie" outfit in the UK with Queen Liz ??

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/a27718121/donald-trump-white-tie-uk-state-visit/

Why Donald Trump's White-Tie Outfit Looked So Wrong During His UK Visit  

There’s one key problem—and it’s not his jacket.

[img]https://hips.hearstapps.com/rover/profile_photos/6d14aaf0-42fa-4d90-b6fa-188cfa877d6c.jpg?fill=1:1&resize=80:*[/img]
 By Jonathan Evans

Jun 4, 2019

[img]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/gettyimages-1147874097.jpg?resize=980:*[/img]

Donald Trump is currently Trumping around the UK, which means we all need to be on high alert for a couple of reasons. First off, he might feel like no one's paying enough attention to him and spark an international incident by telling the Queen that his murderous buddy Kim Jong Un makes a better cup of tea than any English person ever could. (Hopefully not, but it doesn't seem unlikely enough to make me feel better.)

Second, we've got to keep an eye on those clothes.

In the United States, Trump has a relatively basic uniform of baggy suits and mind-bogglingly huge khakis. In the UK, the guy has to try new things. Like fish and chips? Well, probably, if someone can convince him they came from McDonald's. And white-tie formalwear? Absolutely. The Brits—well, the royal ones—love white tie. And Big Donnie Trumpo donned some himself last night. The results were confusing:

[img]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/gettyimages-1147873843.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*[/img]
Donald Trump, Queen Elizabeth II, and Melania Trump attend a State Banquet at Buckingham Palace
on June 3, 2019 in London, England.Getty Images

No one in that photo looks even a little bit happy. And I think I know why: Donald Trump's outfit. It just isn't right...right? It's not easy to put your finger on the exact cause of the problem, but you don't need to know the ins and outs of white tie to know that something is not right with this situation. 

Serious question. Can folks who know black tie/dress tailoring explain this to me. I know there are different cuts for these kinds of occasions. Some look did to an unsigned eye. But can someone explain this? 

Some folks have surmised that it must be the jacket. It's too short, which is allowing that bizarrely enormous swath of white vest to sit below it. But I'm pretty sure that's not actually the issue here. To understand the actual cause of the cognitive dissonance, you just have to remember the way Trump treats a tie, and then consider the role of the vest itself in this whole affair.

As a refresher, not that you need it: Trump's ties are way too damn long, reaching well past his waist. You can't do that with a bow tie. But you can make a vest that's too long, and probably for the same reason as the ties: vanity, and the mistaken belief that a longer-than-average element around the belly distracts from Trump's girth.

The jacket is, indeed, short. It's supposed to be. The problem is simply that the vest is too long. Need proof? Just look to—and I can't believe I'm about to say this—Steve Mnuchin, who got it right:

[img]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/gettyimages-1147874488.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*[/img]

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, and United States Secretary of the Treasury, Steven Mnuchin, arrive through the East Gallery for a State Banquet at Buckingham Palace on June 3, 2019 in London, England. Getty Images

Short jacket? Check. Short vest? Also check. That's the crucial differentiator. That's why Trump's whole outfit looks ridiculous. And when you're losing in a game of style to Steve Mnuchin, it's time to reevaluate your choices.

Donald, get a new vest. Maybe head to Savile Row. It's right there in London, and the heart of England's generations-old tailoring tradition. The folks there might even be able to tell you what size clothing you should wear. Because it's pretty clear you have no idea.

6/04/2019 10:13 pm  #2

Re: Did anyone see tRUMP's "white tie" outfit in the UK with Queen Liz ??

Trump wore a symphony orchestra conductor's tuxedo. 
Wrong tux, for the wrong occasion, on the wrong man, at the wrong time, for the wrong event, and the wrong reason. 

Forget not, Trump was not invited. This visit was his idea, and when suggested, he was advised by many Brits to stay home. That is part of his spat with Sadiq Khan. He called Khan a poor mayor, saying crime and violence was up, implying it was Muslim generated. Have that many people forgotten Ireland? 95% of violent crime and terrorism in London came and comes from Ireland, which is 98% White, Catholic, and Protestant.

Trump and Khan critics make an issue over this mayor, a "dark skinned Muslim," mayoring a White European country. White representatives of The British Empire ruled all over the dark skinned world for two and a half centuries. Arabia, India and South Africa. They painted the British Isles as a Shangri-la, to extent living there was regarded as a heavenly dream by British subjects.

British people still know meaning of the word "trump," and the name fits. "Trump" is an English word used to describe a certain kind of diplomacy Englishmen, in particular Nobles, practiced with subjects of their occupation in Ireland, and Scotland. It means "to concoct, with intent to deceive."

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

6/05/2019 12:10 pm  #3

That's a symphony orchestra conductor's tux?   I had no idea.

I hadn't paid much attention to his trip so didn't realize that he'd invited himself.

LOL on showing up with the wrong type of tux.  Surely, he believes that it slims him down.  Odd that white would be what he'd believe trims anyone.  However, from the front on view, the tux DOES make him look slimmer.  Although, from every other view, it does nothing.  So, he might believe it from facing himself in a mirror.

Hysterical that he hasn't got anyone who'd TELL HIM how ridiculous he looks though.  Maybe his peeps enjoy letting him look as stupid as possible, so don't clue him in?  LOL

6/05/2019 12:13 pm  #4

WOW, you're right... (of course)

Conductor Thomas Wilkins

6/07/2019 1:32 pm  #5

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Wrong tux, for the wrong occasion, on the wrong man, at the wrong time, for the wrong event, and the wrong reason. 

Forget not, Trump was not invited. This visit was his idea, and when suggested, he was advised by many Brits to stay home. That is part of his spat with Sadiq Khan. He called Khan a poor mayor, saying crime and violence was up, implying it was Muslim generated. Have that many people forgotten Ireland? 95% of violent crime and terrorism in London came and comes from Ireland, which is 98% White, Catholic, and Protestant.

Interesting point about a conductor's tuxedo.  I assume that even if Trump HAS people to tell him these things, he doesn't bother to listen?

Would be interested to hear your source for the claim about violent crime and terrorism coming from Ireland, though.  Had not heard anything to that effect.

greenman

6/08/2019 2:22 pm  #6

From all of the books I've read about tRUMP, it is a common conclusion by them ALL that tRUMP doesn't listen to ANYONE about ANYTHING if it doesn't mesh with his own feelings and beliefs.  To the point that many left FOR THAT REASON.  What's the point of someone doing a job where the POTUS ignores them? 

No doubt, a tailor told him that the longer vest made him look slimmer and there's no question that, from the front view, that it does just that.  However, every other view, it does nothing but make him look STUPID and IGNORANT.

I can't help ya with Pikes' claim as I have no idea.  Hopefully, he'll answer you.

6/08/2019 4:30 pm  #7

Trump Was Filling In For the Court Jester, Yorick.

6/08/2019 4:57 pm  #8

6/08/2019 6:19 pm  #9

Siagiah wrote:

From all of the books I've read about tRUMP, it is a common conclusion by them ALL that tRUMP doesn't listen to ANYONE about ANYTHING if it doesn't mesh with his own feelings and beliefs.  To the point that many left FOR THAT REASON.  What's the point of someone doing a job where the POTUS ignores them? 

No doubt, a tailor told him that the longer vest made him look slimmer and there's no question that, from the front view, that it does just that.  However, every other view, it does nothing but make him look STUPID and IGNORANT.

I can't help ya with Pikes' claim as I have no idea.  Hopefully, he'll answer you.

What am I to answer?
Some people call clothes duds. "I'm puttin' on mah duds."
In Trump's case, the dud puts on clothes. 

6/08/2019 6:46 pm  #10

greenman's question:

"
Would be interested to hear your source for the claim about violent crime and terrorism coming from Ireland, though.  Had not heard anything to that effect."

6/08/2019 11:44 pm  #11

greenman wrote:

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Interesting point about a conductor's tuxedo.  I assume that even if Trump HAS people to tell him these things, he doesn't bother to listen?

Would be interested to hear your source for the claim about violent crime and terrorism coming from Ireland, though.  Had not heard anything to that effect.

Thanks Sia
Here you go GM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Great_Britain

Board footera