Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2019 5:05 am  #1

White Water Loon

Our high country hike yesterday was thwarted by a monster snowstorm in the high country. More than two feet of snow fell above 10,000 feet, it snowed all the way down here, and is snowing hard with several inches on the ground at this moment. 

This loon, and we rarely see loons here, was "white water rafting" down the South Platte River at about 8 mph, at 7000 feet altitude in the heavy snow. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

5/21/2019 5:17 am  #2

Re: White Water Loon

As the snow melts and high country back roads and trails become accessible, massive avalanche debris is seen everywhere, closing further access until it can be cleared. But the USFS doesn't have money to do this (Thanks Trump!) Appears clearance may rely on volunteer citizenry with chainsaws willing to donate their time, services and materials. This is the Winfield road, just above Vicksburg, access to Huron Peak, Missouri Mountain, and Mt. Belford and Oxford. Lots of trailheads are closed and inaccessible indefinitely. 

5/21/2019 5:24 am  #3

The Maroon Creek - Maroon Bells Road opening was updated to sometime in late May. Access to this world famous and heritage location S of Aspen is still blocked by massive avalanche snow and debris. This avalanche snow is the weight, hardness, and consistency like concrete, and is "reinforced" with wood tree timber everywhere. You can't "just plow it" out of the way. 

5/21/2019 5:00 pm  #4

Wife just flew into Denver this morning.  Found a couple of inches of snow there.  She knew it was going to be cold, but didn't expect snow.

Heading to Glenwood Springs on Thursday by rail.  Then rents a car and looks around, heading back to Denver by Tues.  Well, she knows how to drive in the snow.   

It was 40's here this morning, but should hit the 80's tomorrow.  She can have Colorado,  I'll stay warm and maybe get some corn planted here.

BornToFarm   (AKA Pheoma,  Deplorable Pheoma)
-----------------------------------------------
Why be normal?

5/21/2019 5:22 pm  #5

BornToFarm wrote:

Wife just flew into Denver this morning.  Found a couple of inches of snow there.  She knew it was going to be cold, but didn't expect snow.

Heading to Glenwood Springs on Thursday by rail.  Then rents a car and looks around, heading back to Denver by Tues.  Well, she knows how to drive in the snow.   

It was 40's here this morning, but should hit the 80's tomorrow.  She can have Colorado,  I'll stay warm and maybe get some corn planted here.

We ended up getting a foot of new snow, and it is still snowing. 

5/21/2019 6:18 pm  #6

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

\

Oh boy.  So, where are you in relation to Denver and Glenwood Springs?  This might be a real adventure for her.

BornToFarm   (AKA Pheoma,  Deplorable Pheoma)
-----------------------------------------------
Why be normal?

5/21/2019 6:55 pm  #7

BornToFarm wrote:

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

\

Oh boy.  So, where are you in relation to Denver and Glenwood Springs?  This might be a real adventure for her.

My front yard today.

I live 70 miles S of Denver.
Glenwood Springs is 160 miles W of Denver, across the mountains on the W side of the Continental Divide. She will be driving through big snow, Eisenhower Tunnel, and Vail Pass. Normally it's a four hour drive. In these conditions today it will be more like six. But in a few days it should be back to normal. Up there roads will be wet, and on the passes she may feel like she's driving through a bobsled course with walls of snow on both sides of the highway. 

5/21/2019 7:01 pm  #8

This is C-Dot clearing snow from the Guanella Pass road. But, this was before this last storm, which dumped 2 - 3 feet of new snow up there. 

5/22/2019 4:09 pm  #9

OMG Pikes... That's CRAZY !!!

Several years ago, we'd considered moving to Colorado.  I thought it would be such an adventure... I'm SO GLAD that we didn't.  I HATE snow.  I hate it that it snows here throughout winter.  But snowing that hard near MEMORIAL DAY ???  YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING !!

5/22/2019 5:31 pm  #10

Breckenridge Ski Area will be open until mid June. A Basin will be open until mid July. Breckenridge still has 70 inches of snow. 
A massive rock slide happened on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon yesterday closing it. 

Board footera