Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2019 10:32 pm  #1

Looking to replace my current iPhone with an Android. Need some input

Looking to replace my current iPhone with an Android.  Need some input

I LOVE my iPhone and have had one or another of them for the last 7 years, but everyone in my family has an Android.  So, I can't do video calls with them because the only app that will work between the two is one they all refuse to install because there's concerns about its security.  I get that so can't fuss with them about it.

Anyway, I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy 10+ vs their '9" version. 

What I want is a phone with an excellent camera, reliable (obviously), and no heat or battery issues.  I'll deal with most everything else, but not with a crappy camera or issues with heat/battery. 

Any suggestions ?  Any personal experiences to share ?

5/20/2019 12:19 pm  #2

Re: Looking to replace my current iPhone with an Android. Need some input

I have an LG V-30. I think it may have recently been supplanted by a V-40 model (mine's about a year old...my fourth LG)...but in any case, I've been happy with top-of-range phones from LG for a while now. The camera is particularly good. I rely on the battery on my (increasingly frequent) Tokyo trips, as I would struggle to navigate w/o Google Maps there. It's been good (I also carry a little power brick, for all that I seldom use it).

An LG feature I love is the back-mounted on/off switch. Takes an adjustment period, but it's really handy when you get used to is (you can, of course, just double tap the screen). The audio DAC is okay...but I'm really fussy about sound quality...I toss the earbuds as far as I can throw them and use my fancy-ass Westone in-ear monitors. Sounds great... =P

The phone's super-thin...one of the thinnest Ive found, which is important to me.

5/20/2019 2:11 pm  #3

Poppet wrote:

I have an LG V-30. I think it may have recently been supplanted by a V-40 model (mine's about a year old...my fourth LG)...but in any case, I've been happy with top-of-range phones from LG for a while now. The camera is particularly good. I rely on the battery on my (increasingly frequent) Tokyo trips, as I would struggle to navigate w/o Google Maps there. It's been good (I also carry a little power brick, for all that I seldom use it).

An LG feature I love is the back-mounted on/off switch. Takes an adjustment period, but it's really handy when you get used to is (you can, of course, just double tap the screen). The audio DAC is okay...but I'm really fussy about sound quality...I toss the earbuds as far as I can throw them and use my fancy-ass Westone in-ear monitors. Sounds great... =P

The phone's super-thin...one of the thinnest Ive found, which is important to me.

==========================

Good information, thank you.  I'll look at those too.  One of my kids had an LG phone a couple of years back and liked it. 

5/21/2019 6:00 pm  #4

I wound up buying a Samsung S9+ today after my iPhone 8+ split open on the seam, apparently due to a battery expansion issue that became dangerous to keep using.  I'm going to send it out for repair and maybe sell it AFTER it's repaired, or keep it as a spare cell phone in case one of our extendeds breaks theirs again.  Not sure.

This is what my iPhone 8+ looks like now... (pix from website, not my actual phone) 

I really don't care for Androids... But, I'll deal with it for the added bonus of being able to do video chats with the kids and Evelyn. 

Board footera