Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2019 2:10 pm  #1

Have any of you done DNA testing ??

If so, were you surprised by the results ??

8/02/2019 5:45 pm  #2

Re: Have any of you done DNA testing ??

I did.  And I was mildly surprised - most of them were English, French, and German, as I expected, but there was some Iberian (probably Celtic blood, since they emigrated to the British Isles long ago) and oddly, Baltic...had no idea I had any ancestors from Latvia, Lithuania, or Estonia.  That was the biggest surprise.

Naturally I had ideas about other origins which were NOT confirmed - no Native American blood, and no Scandinavian blood.

It's fascinating, really.  I just couldn't resist giving it a try!

greenman

8/02/2019 8:26 pm  #3

Re: Have any of you done DNA testing ??

greenman wrote:

I did.  And I was mildly surprised - most of them were English, French, and German, as I expected, but there was some Iberian (probably Celtic blood, since they emigrated to the British Isles long ago) and oddly, Baltic...had no idea I had any ancestors from Latvia, Lithuania, or Estonia.  That was the biggest surprise.

Naturally I had ideas about other origins which were NOT confirmed - no Native American blood, and no Scandinavian blood.

It's fascinating, really.  I just couldn't resist giving it a try!

=================================================================

Agreed on it being irresistible. 

I was shocked by mine though.  I expected 99.9% Swedish, but nope.  I have 15% French/German, 23% English, and only 62% Swedish. 

Doing ancestry searches trying to figure that out, it turns out that my Dad's mother wasn't Swedish AT ALL.  In fact, her ancestors came over on the Mayflower and were 100% English/British Isles.  

My Mom's Mom was part Swedish, part English, and part French/German, but had never claimed the English/French/German part for some reason ???  She was an only child and died when my Mom was young, so my Mom & her siblings really never knew all that much about her background. 

However, I've found "distant cousins" whose grandparents were my Grandmother's HALF sisters & brothers, whom my Mom knew nothing about because her Dad didn't keep in touch with them after his wife died.  They filled me in on the missing links that explained the unexpected DNA results.

That's why my DNA results surprised me SO MUCH.

My husband is half Lithuanian and half Irish. 

What I've learned is that you can have ancestors who were full blooded something or another, but not show a DROP of it in your own DNA.  I have a distant ancestor who was a full blooded Mohawk Native American.  There's NO sign of it in my DNA because of how DNA is passed on.  One or another of my siblings might show some, but I do not.  That's because each parent offers 50% of what you get, but they got only 50% of what their parents had, and so on backwards.  Within 4 generations, it's possible to have diluted even a full-blooded something or another because of how DNA is passed down in random segments and not whole.

Board footera