Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2019 3:52 pm  #1

Elizabeth Warren needs a plan for dealing with Mitch McConnell

https://theweek.com/articles/846262/elizabeth-warren-needs-plan-dealing-mitch-mcconnell

Elizabeth Warren needs a plan for dealing with Mitch McConnell

By Joel Mathis

Illustrated | Zach Gibson/Getty Images, Ethan Miller/Getty Images, flovie/iStock, str33tcat/iStock,

JessicaHyde/iStock

June 10, 2019           

Elizabeth Warren is emerging as a major contender for the Democratic 2020 presidential nomination: A new poll shows the senator from Massachusetts nipping at the heels of the frontrunner, former Vice President Joe Biden, and other reports suggest she's attracting more media attention and enthusiastic crowds than most of her rivals in the race.

She's done this mostly — famously — by having "a plan for that." Among her many proposals, Warren has detailed plans to offer universal daycare for young children, free college for young adults, and affordable housing for everybody else. She even has a plan to pay for all those plans: a tax targeted at America's wealthiest families.

Even if you disagree with Warren's plans, there's something to admire about her approach. She's spelling out, to an unusual degree, how she would try to govern if she were to become president. Rather than choose between a campaign of substance or a campaign built on attitude, Warren is demonstrating that attitude can be demonstrated through substance.

"She's got chutzpah," said one of Warren's fans at one of her Iowa appearances over the weekend.

But the very thing that makes Warren's campaign stand out — all those big ideas — is also what makes her potential presidency vulnerable. It's easy to fall short of big goals, and politicians who make big promises and fail to keep them can easily be labeled "ineffective." No doubt if Warren takes the presidency, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) will be waiting on Capitol Hill to ensure all her plans never become reality.

McConnell is really good at thwarting the Democratic agenda. Perhaps the biggest accomplishment of his career was blocking former President Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court — an act that ultimately let President Trump fill the opening left by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia, which in turn helped ensure the likely conservative control of the Supreme Court for the next generation. More recently, McConnell has been effective in stopping legislation originating in the Democratic-led House of Representatives. McConnell's not-so-secret technique: He simply doesn't let legislation he doesn't like come to a vote in the Senate.

Expect more of the same if Warren — or any other Democrat — wins the presidency next year.

"If I'm still the majority leader of the Senate, think of me as the 'Grim Reaper,'" he told Kentucky constituents in April. "None of that stuff is going to pass. None of it."

The more explicit Warren is about how she plans to govern, the more opportunity McConnell has to prepare to obstruct her efforts. So Warren, more than most candidates in the race, needs to have a plan ready to overcome such obstruction. To her credit, she has already come out for eliminating the filibuster in the Senate. Even if McConnell and Republicans lose control of that chamber next year, the continuing existence of the filibuster will allow them to block a good portion of the legislation Warren needs to accomplish her goals.

"When Democrats have the White House again, if Mitch McConnell tries to do what he did to President Obama, and puts small-minded partisanship ahead of solving the massive problems facing this country, then we should get rid of the filibuster," Warren said earlier this spring.

But that's just the beginning. If McConnell has a majority in the Senate, all bets are off.

So Warren — and other top Democrats — should be working harder now to woo the best candidates into 2020's Senate races, then campaign furiously to win Congress in 2020.

The problem, though, is that notable Democrats seem to be bypassing next year's Senate campaigns and aiming squarely for the White House. With the exception of Stacey Abrams, just about every Democrat you've ever heard of — and a few you haven't — are running for president. You can't win the races you don't run; Democrats seem to be conceding the Senate to the Republicans already. That's a shame, because the best way for a President Warren to have any real hope of enacting her agenda is to hope that Democrats win at the Congressional level in 2020. The only plan that really matters for a Democratic president, it turns out, is the plan that neutralizes Mitch McConnell.

6/11/2019 10:08 am  #2

Re: Elizabeth Warren needs a plan for dealing with Mitch McConnell

I have heard both Harris and Warren specifically mention that the Senate should be as high a priority as the Presidency for Democrats in the upcoming election.

For good reason, as the article outlines.

Amadeus

6/11/2019 11:22 am  #3

Amadeus wrote:

I have heard both Harris and Warren specifically mention that the Senate should be as high a priority as the Presidency for Democrats in the upcoming election.

Amadeus

For good reason too. McConnell left Trump's stain on the SCOTUS for a generation. Both presidency and senate must flip to prevent trump assumption of SCOTUS control for his own protection. One more Trump appointment will achieve that, and RBG's health is precarious. The more I hear and read what people say, the more concerned I am that too few recognize the Constitutional crisis we're in. Obama was never an authoritarian threat. Trump is, and the fact his supporters are fine with his "presidency" shows how little, and poorly they understand the Constitutional Democratic Republic. Checks and balances are fine as long as their authoritarian has the power to ignore them. Trump's power serves himself first. That was never the case with Obama. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

6/12/2019 2:57 pm  #4

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Amadeus wrote:

Amadeus

For good reason too. McConnell left Trump's stain on the SCOTUS for a generation. Both presidency and senate must flip to prevent trump assumption of SCOTUS control for his own protection. One more Trump appointment will achieve that, and RBG's health is precarious. The more I hear and read what people say, the more concerned I am that too few recognize the Constitutional crisis we're in. Obama was never an authoritarian threat. Trump is, and the fact his supporters are fine with his "presidency" shows how little, and poorly they understand the Constitutional Democratic Republic. Checks and balances are fine as long as their authoritarian has the power to ignore them. Trump's power serves himself first. That was never the case with Obama. 
Pikes

==============================================
If tRUMP is impeached, I think that both of his appointments should be removed from the SCOTUS.

I'd also be in favor of having MORE on the SCOTUS too.  I think that having 13 of them AND term limits of 10 years should be the norm.  That would keep them cycling in and out so that it wouldn't be SO IMPORTANT who was in power.  Cycling them over 10 years would remove so much pressure.

Adding the additional justices should be accomplished by adding them 1 at a time every 2 years spread out over an 8 year period.  Ties should be resolved by having a random elimination of one justice's opinion based PURELY on chance.

Also, the current SCOTUS who've been on for less than 5 years should start their count on their appointment date.  Those there over 5 years should have their years divided by 3 and that be their official accrued time (since they were appointed for life and it would be too much trauma to remove them all at once) 

That would put:
Roberts at 4.6 years
Thomas at 9.3 years
Ginsburg at 8.3 years
Breyer at 7.6 years
Alito at 4.3 years
Sotomayer at  3.3 years
Kagan at 3 years
Gorsuch at 2 years
Kavanaugh at 1 year

IMHO, that would significantly change the dynamics of our politics and stop the nonsense of having the SCOTUS be an influence for entire generations or more.  After all, Thomas has 28 years, Ginsburg has 26 years, and Breyer has 25 years.  The last 4 who retired were on for approximately as long as that and Scalia for 30 years !!

That's TOO long.

6/12/2019 6:01 pm  #5

If a POTUS is removed, I agree with his appointments and decisions being nullified. However there is nothing in the US Constitution to support that. 

SCOTUS term limits is a good idea. So it multiple nominations from both Republicans and Democrats, through their recognized leadership, where applicants compete, or are measured against each other for qualification. Lifetime appointment, given how partisan bickering divided the nation, made the SCOTUS more a political battleground than the highest arena of Constitutional justice. 

My concern over Kavanaugh remains. Democrats focused on the wrong thing. His vulnerability never was his sexual misconduct. It was and remains his drinking. He's a drunk with anger management issues. 

6/13/2019 9:25 pm  #6

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

If a POTUS is removed, I agree with his appointments and decisions being nullified. However there is nothing in the US Constitution to support that. 

SCOTUS term limits is a good idea. So it multiple nominations from both Republicans and Democrats, through their recognized leadership, where applicants compete, or are measured against each other for qualification. Lifetime appointment, given how partisan bickering divided the nation, made the SCOTUS more a political battleground than the highest arena of Constitutional justice. 

My concern over Kavanaugh remains. Democrats focused on the wrong thing. His vulnerability never was his sexual misconduct. It was and remains his drinking. He's a drunk with anger management issues. 

============================

It's too bad that there's no constitutional provision for that. 

What do you mean about multiple nominations from both R & D etc. ?

Agreed on the mean drunk issue with Kavanaugh.  Though, I suspect that his colleagues would speak up if he showed up to work drunk or displaying his anger management problems...

It's fairly obvious that there's some form on quid pro quo between Kavanaugh & tRUMP, same deal as William Barr.  Otherwise, the second something arose that could have derailed his confirmation would have seen his name withdrawn.  The GOP would confirm a ham sandwich if tRUMP wanted to appoint one.

6/13/2019 11:03 pm  #7

Siagiah wrote:

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

============================

It's too bad that there's no constitutional provision for that. 

What do you mean about multiple nominations from both R & D etc. ?

Agreed on the mean drunk issue with Kavanaugh.  Though, I suspect that his colleagues would speak up if he showed up to work drunk or displaying his anger management problems...

It's fairly obvious that there's some form on quid pro quo between Kavanaugh & tRUMP, same deal as William Barr.  Otherwise, the second something arose that could have derailed his confirmation would have seen his name withdrawn.  The GOP would confirm a ham sandwich if tRUMP wanted to appoint one.

To prevent partisan bias, a "president" should nominate two SCOTUS candidates, One liberal and one conservative. Let the best choice win the seat. This could be keyed to thwart an attempt by a Trump or McConnell to nominate an impossible choice. 

We must get away from the nomination of partisan justices to favor a political party ideology. To partisan issue, a justice must be blind. 

6/14/2019 12:20 am  #8

In the past, it required 60 votes to be confirmed, not a simple majority.  It should go back to that or even higher.  That way, only moderate centrists would ever get confirmed because they weren't excessively LW or RW.

6/14/2019 12:41 pm  #9

Siagiah wrote:

In the past, it required 60 votes to be confirmed, not a simple majority.  It should go back to that or even higher.  That way, only moderate centrists would ever get confirmed because they weren't excessively LW or RW.

You're right. Rule changes should never be made lightly, and I remember when this one changed, simply because the party in power wanted their man. Now, they both do it when in power, and in that method, partisan politics end ran around the Constitution. 

In hindsight, at the time we should have been outraged. Shows the danger of apathy and complacency. 

6/14/2019 2:59 pm  #10

Much to absorb, but I'll add a comment regarding our current "state of the union."

Yes, Trump is useless, but we cannot ignore the fact he is here by virtue of popular manipulation which has really been surprising (to me.)  His core supporters are real and they won't go away.  So, what does that say about us?

Is his support based in racism?  "White Supremacy?"  Or  the gullibility of a few voters in a few states?

As for me, I'm amazed that so many people care so much -- enough to trash it all to get their imaginary wants!  I wondered how the Nazis took over Germany, but not any more!  Talking head wondered if there is "life after Trump" for the GOP.

I'm just not sure!  An awful lt of bare bones are being exposed!

6/14/2019 4:07 pm  #11

donk wrote:

Much to absorb, but I'll add a comment regarding our current "state of the union."

Yes, Trump is useless, but we cannot ignore the fact he is here by virtue of popular manipulation which has really been surprising (to me.)  His core supporters are real and they won't go away.  So, what does that say about us?

Is his support based in racism?  "White Supremacy?"  Or  the gullibility of a few voters in a few states?

As for me, I'm amazed that so many people care so much -- enough to trash it all to get their imaginary wants!  I wondered how the Nazis took over Germany, but not any more!  Talking head wondered if there is "life after Trump" for the GOP.

Good to see you Donk.

In Trump world, lies are no big deal.
Everybody lies.
Lies are useful to get what you want.
When you need to lie, lie.
Trump never learned the truth about lies, and is teaching his base.

France had Sir Lanceolot. America has President Lies-alot.
Aka Chief Little Big Lies, and General Bonespurs has already seriously damaged America.
He has convinced at least 29% of voters, and possibly as many as 38% that his lies are truth,
and that opposition's truth are lies.

This above all other signs is the most telling and damning.
Such a nation cannot long endure.

6/16/2019 10:11 am  #12

I'd suggest euthanasia, myself...

Last edited by greenman (6/16/2019 10:11 am)

greenman

6/16/2019 10:13 am  #13

donk wrote:

Good comment, Donk, and good to hear from you again!  Been a long time, huh?  

greenman

6/28/2019 4:07 pm  #14

Hasn't it?  donk is hit or miss.  He comes around for a few days and then disappears for weeks.  Pretty sure he's living with his daughter in Ohio now.

Board footera