Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2019 4:30 pm  #1

Did Mozart Write “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”?

https://www.britannica.com/story/did-mozart-write-twinkle-twinkle-little-star

Did Mozart Write “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”? 

Written By:  John M. Cunningham

[img]https://cdn.britannica.com/s:300x500,q:1/50/152550-131-ED0EC610.jpg[/img]
Art Media/Biblioteque de l'Opera, Paris/Heritage-Images/

The composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is remembered for his precociousness, his prolific output, and his beautiful and memorable melodies. With all due respect to the famous opening bars of Eine kleine Nachtmusik, probably the most familiar melody associated with Mozart is known to English speakers as “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.” Indeed, it is commonly believed that the tune was one of Mozart’s earliest compositions, written when he was a child for his older sister, Nannerl. Alas, the story isn’t true.

What is true is that Mozart composed a set of variations on the tune for the piano. Those variations were probably written in the early 1780s, when Mozart was a young man, and they may have been intended as piano exercises for the music students he taught. The complete work was published in 1785 and was described as variations on “Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman,” a French folk song that was popular at the time. Here’s a rough translation of that song’s lyrics (ah, the silliness of pre-Revolutionary France):Ah, Mother, if I could tell you / What causes my torment / Father wants me to reason / Like a grown-up / But I say that sweets / Are worth more than reason

So who composed the tune itself? No one knows. The melody of “Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman” was first published (without words) in Les Amusements d'une Heure et Demy (1761), a collection of music to be played at garden parties. The collection is attributed to a man named Boüin, but there is no evidence that he personally wrote the music. Although some scholars have suggested that the tune might be as old as 1740, the identity of its composer is still a mystery.

As for “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star,” it originated as a poem written by the English authorJane Taylor and was published in 1806 as “The Star.” Sometime later the poem was set to the melody of “Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman.” (The earliest known appearance of the words and the music together dates to 1838.) As you may have already realized, it’s not the only set of alternative lyrics for the tune. Among the other songs that have made use of the melody are “Baa, Baa, Black Sheep,” the alphabet song (“A-B-C-D-E-F-G”), and a German sing-along (“Ist das nicht ein Schnitzelbank?”).

=======================================

I had NO idea that people claimed that Mozart wrote it...

5/18/2019 7:24 pm  #2

Re: Did Mozart Write “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”?

The trubble [sic] is this. Many a graduate degree was attained and awarded on a dissertation that proves this or disproves that... and favorite topics in music are the popular Bach, Beethoven, and most popular Mozart. 

For years it was accepted, known, and believed Mozart wrote Ah vous dirai je Maman, aka Twinkle. Then "scholars" began to throw the good old dirt of speculation and conjecture into the soup as they wrote and presented arguments for that coveted DM degree. 

Like for example, we do know where Mozart was buried (no we don't). The grave was marked (no it wasn't). We know how he died (no we don't). Ate bad pork (bad fish, bad mushrooms, bad beef, bad lamb, bad water...). We know who the mystery commission of the Requiem came from (Walsegg, Schroeder, Salieri, Koenig et al...). Scholars put all these questions to rest once and for all. And they contradict each other more than the good old Bible. Each one insisting he's right!  Largely unchecked or uncheckable bibliographies offered as proof. 

My favorite is the doctorologist who actually wrote part of his grocery list on a page of Mozart's original manuscript to the Requiem! What kind of hubris did that require? 

Mark Twain wrote, "A great deal of darkness has been shed on the subject, and it is likely more darkness will be shed on it, until we know nothing at all!" Boy oh boy does that apply to Beethoven and Mozart! 

Beethoven wrote a few famous tunes too. Rule Britainia! God Save the Queen, For He's a Jolly Good Fellow, and My Country 'Tis of Thee... all Beethoven tunes. Did he and Mozart "borrow" from folk tunes of the time? Possibly. Or their melodies became popular tunes because they were catchy, with hooks. Hard to know. Maybe impossible to know. But an army of scholars kicked the legs out of each to make them more human and flawed for the next million years, or three which ever come first. 

One account assigned composition of Twinkle to Leopold Mozart, Wolfgang's father. 

Another problem is back then, a lot of music didn't get written down. Mozart hated writing his music down on paper. Why did he do it? To sell it! To sell to others, the mystery and magic of what he played and how he played it. But he was a great improviser and likely never played a piece the same way twice. In fact, Mozart was also a bad sight reader. Sometimes others took their written music to him for critique, and he was terrified to play it. But the other had a duplicate copy, and when Mozart played, he improvised, and the other made corrections on his copy because Mozart's improv was so much better than his original! 

I did an interpretation of Twinkle many years ago to show the high standard of music performance in comparison with hard subjects, like math, physics, and chemistry. 

What does a 93% sound like? That's an A in any subject. 
Two performances. First about 100%. Second about 93%.

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

5/19/2019 10:27 pm  #3

Well, that is super cool... Thank you for sharing it.

Bizarre how false information so often becomes "factual" ...

5/22/2019 12:48 pm  #4

Give a listen to a great Beethoven work, Wellington's Victory. In particular, listen for the tunes that became well known and popular "folk" melodies. 

This is great! This guys "gets it!" 

5/26/2019 2:49 pm  #5

It says "video unavailable"  ??

5/26/2019 3:06 pm  #6

5/28/2019 10:14 am  #7

The case of "who wrote that?" that most fascinates me is the opening theme of Beethoven's "Eroica" Symphony which happens to be virtually identical to a theme from the overture of Mozart's "Bastien und Bastienne, which was written about 35-40 years earlier, when Mozart was 12 years old.
   The scholarship on this is somewhat a muddle, as I recall, since at the time the Eroica was written
around, let's say 1803-05) Bastien und Bastienne had never been published. My further recollection is that it was believed (at least in the late 1980's) that there was a likelihood that the theme may have belonged to a third composer (unknown) whose material was "borrowed" by the Mozart and Beethoven.
    This brings me to the mystery of musical composition. Over the years I've sat down at the piano and tried to turn out a little piece of music. Inevitably, if it is something that pleases me, on reflection I realize that all I was doing was parroting or playing with melodies or ideas that I've heard in the past, even though that past might be distant. 
  So, I'm astounded at the very concept of musical composition and often wonder if it is possible to create anything truly original. One thing certain, it's impossible for me.

Last edited by SJW (5/28/2019 12:04 pm)

5/28/2019 12:37 pm  #8

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Siagiah wrote:

It plays for me. Just tested it. Here it is again. 

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samfSDbZnko&list=LLl-2AqdTm939EVcn_zASzEQ&index=5&t=0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samfSDbZnko&list=LLl-2AqdTm939EVcn_zASzEQ&index=5&t=0s

[/url]

I'm sorry, but it STILL says "Video Unavailable" for me.  You may have it saved in your cache, so it plays, but it WON'T play for me.  No clue why ???

5/28/2019 12:51 pm  #9

SJW wrote:

The case of "who wrote that?" that most fascinates me is the opening theme of Beethoven's "Eroica" Symphony which happens to be virtually identical to a theme from the overture of Mozart's "Bastien und Bastienne, which was written about 35-40 years earlier, when Mozart was 12 years old.
   The scholarship on this is somewhat a muddle, as I recall, since at the time the Eroica was written
around, let's say 1803-05) Bastien und Bastienne had never been published. My further recollection is that it was believed (at least in the late 1980's) that there was a likelihood that the theme may have belonged to a third composer (unknown) whose material was "borrowed" by the Mozart and Beethoven.
    This brings me to the mystery of musical composition. Over the years I've sat down at the piano and tried to turn out a little piece of music. Inevitably, if it is something that pleases me, on reflection I realize that all I was doing was parroting or playing with melodies or ideas that I've heard in the past, even though that past might be distant. 
  So, I'm astounded at the very concept of musical composition and often wonder if it is possible to create anything truly original. One thing certain, it's impossible for me.

==================================

WOW, that's quite a concern for any composer !!  Thing is, if everything is somehow a "copy" of or extremely similar to previously heard melodies, then where did the ORIGINAL melody come from?

This gave me a thought that I'm going to introduce as a new topic since it is way OT for this particular discussion.

5/29/2019 4:44 pm  #10

I'm not saying it's impossible---just that I sure as hell could never do it. As for the other point...well.after hundreds of  years it is difficult to imagine something that hasn't been done before. I'm not talking about "copying" consciously or even copying at all. I'm thinking pure math within the framework of a large but LIMITED number of possibilities that exist within the western chromatic scale..and a few other limitations whose frame makes music "work"
   There are other musical frameworks but many of them result in music that is far more interesting to read about than it is to listen to.

5/29/2019 5:57 pm  #11

Siagiah wrote:

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Siagiah wrote:

It plays for me. Just tested it. Here it is again. 

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samfSDbZnko&list=LLl-2AqdTm939EVcn_zASzEQ&index=5&t=0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samfSDbZnko&list=LLl-2AqdTm939EVcn_zASzEQ&index=5&t=0s

[/url]

I'm sorry, but it STILL says "Video Unavailable" for me.  You may have it saved in your cache, so it plays, but it WON'T play for me.  No clue why ???

It is here in the quote. I used the "tool" in the toolbar to load it. 
I also pasted in the URL. 

I have something to say to and about SJW's take on composition. But,
duty calls first. 

5/31/2019 10:20 pm  #12

SJW wrote:

If you play piano, even just a little, sit down and improvise. Harmony in your left hand, theme in your right. 
Switch off and hear it in a different register. 
Change keys. 
Change rhythms a little. 
Isolate a motif, and improvise just on the motif.
Make it into a recitative. 
Put words to it. 
Any words. Rhyme or prose. 
Words about daily life. 
"I just brushed my teeth!" 
"I just" is probably on beats 3 and 4. "Brushed" is the downbeat. 
If you put "brushed my teeth" into a 5/4 meter, it's probably 
as original as you can get. 
"I just" could be beats 2 and 3 in a 3/4 measure.
3/4 to 5/4. 
What are the chances some old dead white guy did that?
Rappers can't write. 
You just created a brand new, original composition. 
Did you borrow ideas you heard? Possibly. Who cares? 
Nobody every played it the way you just did, and that makes it yours. 
Maybe you quoted some composer. 
In old times composers quoted each other and predecessors frequently. 
Why did any write their music down?
To sell their technique long distance. 
A composition was a book, bought by somebody else to learn how. 
Write yours down. 
You can use Finale or Sibelius, improvise and they will write it down for you. 
Your human =19.5pxidiosyncrasies away from absolute perfect rhythm is likely to
tie really odd looking pairings together- a 32nd note tied to a half note.
Or you can do what you did in ear training, 
You will have to use your own squillo.
That will make it even more original. 

5/31/2019 10:26 pm  #13

By the way, we put on a production of Bastien and Bastienne. Every spring, at the school where I taught, we produced an opera. At first, students hated it. Then when they discovered it, they loved it. 

6/05/2019 9:36 am  #14

I don't see it that way.  We could go on and on and back and forth , but it would serve no purpose. We appear to disagree. 
   I've tried writing a response to your take on this subject on three occasions. Each time it ended up being too long, too technical/mathematical and far too boring (even for me). Best we leave it at that.

6/05/2019 10:23 am  #15

SJW wrote:

I don't see it that way.  We could go on and on and back and forth , but it would serve no purpose. We appear to disagree. 
   I've tried writing a response to your take on this subject on three occasions. Each time it ended up being too long, too technical/mathematical and far too boring (even for me). Best we leave it at that.

Odd. I really don't recall any of that. Not a one, and that is really unusual and perplexing. 
Did I actually respond? I mean, was it really me?

Reason I ask is there was and is another poster "over there" who pretended to be me on several occasions. I never knew it until I had access to the "abuse database" to find several of "my" posts in there. I wrote not one. Not one word of one. They were all written by somebody else, and I know exactly who. I always responded to you with the greatest respect. Somehow, somewhere a bad taste lingers, and I'd like chance to clean that up. 

6/05/2019 3:19 pm  #16

No. No. I meant I tried to write messages but in each instance was dissatisfied with what I wrote and scrapped the messages. It's a complicated subject . I never posted anything until today.
 NYC is the base I use when I'm stateside. I only post when I'm here. When I'm home I have other priorities and when I'm elsewhere on the road I just use my phone.While I can read items, posting comes with more difficulty than I care to bother with.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

6/05/2019 11:05 pm  #17

SJW wrote:

No. No. I meant I tried to write messages but in each instance was dissatisfied with what I wrote and scrapped the messages. It's a complicated subject . I never posted anything until today.
 NYC is the base I use when I'm stateside. I only post when I'm here. When I'm home I have other priorities and when I'm elsewhere on the road I just use my phone.While I can read items, posting comes with more difficulty than I care to bother with.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No worries! 

I believe many good musicians make composition much more difficult than it needs to be, or is. Your dissatisfaction with what you wrote... write... reflects the vastness of this topic. One could write volumes. Volumes have been written. Very quickly we get bogged down into theory, harmony, vertical and linear, and in no time we're juggling nineteen balls at once. Same goes for explanation of it. Like trying to eat a whole cow in one bite. A few bites in, and overwhelmed doesn't begin to describe it. Frustration, and then scrap. 

As a professional musician you have additional stresses of work here and abroad, and rigorous schedule demands that commands your attention in ways "normal people," the working public seldom if ever face. You know what I mean. They don't and won't. When you have time, more music is about the last thing you want to fill your time. You badly need that change of pace. Again, you know what I mean. 

Then there is theory- melody, harmony... and the "What do I do?" 
Tell a story. The music comes before the theory. 

Composition never paid well. It still doesn't. Most every composer is also a teacher, or conductor, or performer- something else to pay bills. Composing to make money is like teaching to make money. If money is your draw and need, do something else. You have to love it. You have to want it. You have to write from your heart. 

See! There I go off into something that could so easily become a volume! Or five. Keep it simple. 

When you can, improvise a short story. Tell a short story. It doesn't have to be much. The shorter, the better. 
Make it something you want to say. 

No hurries or rush here. My offer to help stands and will be available as long as I am. 

Board footera