Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/03/2019 11:05 pm  #1

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get rid of ticks ??

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get rid of ticks ??

My property has so damned many of them that it's mind-boggling.  We are rural, bordered by heavy woods, tons of waterways.  Tons of field mice. 

My dog brings them in on her, multiple ticks a day.  She's only able to run in close proximity to the house (electronic fence) so it's not like she's out in the woods.  They crawl off of her and onto us.  Ugh, I hate them.

Kali has tick medicine that kills them if they bite her, but half of them don't bite her, they crawl off her onto me when she sits next to me. 

I'm sick of the tick nonsense of spraying her with peppermint oil, water, & white vinegar, which they supposedly hate.  They don't hate it that much, they still climb on her.

Ideas ?

6/04/2019 3:30 am  #2

Re: Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get rid of ticks ??

Ticks have a season, with one or two broods depending on how long your summer season is. During brood time, limit outdoor exposure. To learn your tick season, contact your agricultural extension agency. In most boreal locations, it is "early summer" and if there's a second brood, "mid late summer," each lasting about ten to fourteen days. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

6/04/2019 10:45 am  #3

I know the seasons, that's only when they brood in rodent nests.  I also know what we're supposed to do to limit their ability to survive in the nests, but with 18+ acres of land, it's almost impossible to do.  Half of our property is deep woods, but even the rest, wide open green fields is loaded with them.

As for the ticks, they bite and wander for the ENTIRE spring & summer and into early fall.  So there's virtually NO TIME that we are devoid of ticks.  They are RELENTLESS.

Thing is, we NEVER had ticks until just a few years ago.  I've lived here for 19 years so I've seen the change.  As our weather gets warmer gradually, ticks are able to survive our winters hiding in rodent nests, so they've moved progressively northwards because they NEVER die off.  Climate change is MORE than rising sea levels and crazy weather.

Weirder still, we NEVER had tick problems where I lived in north central MA or on the MA coastline for much of my life.  Only homes tucked into deep woods ever worried about them and they weren't all THAT prolific there either.  It's like there are some ideal spots where they go NUTZO and congregate. 

6/04/2019 11:56 am  #4

I am glad you see how climate change affects this. Too many people don't pay attention, and then argue when confronted.

True, while ticks are never gone during the warm season, their population surges either once or twice in reproductive cycles, when they become especially numerous. 

I don't know of any effective controls that would not also adversely affect something else, and possibly long term throw an entire ecosystem out of whack. Certainly not over a wide area of multiple acres. Ticks are especially good at avoiding contact controls, and are unusually resistant. To avoid them, we have to limit contact as much as possible on our end, and diligently inspect when returning from their territory. 

6/04/2019 12:50 pm  #5

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

I am glad you see how climate change affects this. Too many people don't pay attention, and then argue when confronted.

True, while ticks are never gone during the warm season, their population surges either once or twice in reproductive cycles, when they become especially numerous. 

I don't know of any effective controls that would not also adversely affect something else, and possibly long term throw an entire ecosystem out of whack. Certainly not over a wide area of multiple acres. Ticks are especially good at avoiding contact controls, and are unusually resistant. To avoid them, we have to limit contact as much as possible on our end, and diligently inspect when returning from their territory. 

===================================

I don't think that you understand the severity of the problem.  I cannot avoid areas they are found in because it is virtually my ENTIRE property.  If I set foot outside, for any reason, I ALWAYS have at least one tick on me when I come in.  My dog brings DOZENS in a week. 

In the spring and summer, we CAN use the process outlined in the youtube video, but it's extremely difficult and costly to do.  I may just have to bite the bullet and DO IT before the next crop of tick eggs are laid. 

At least this process DOESN'T significantly injure anything else, including the field mice who live in the nests.

6/04/2019 3:41 pm  #6

Siagiah wrote:

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

===================================

I don't think that you understand the severity of the problem.  I cannot avoid areas they are found in because it is virtually my ENTIRE property.  If I set foot outside, for any reason, I ALWAYS have at least one tick on me when I come in.  My dog brings DOZENS in a week. 

In the spring and summer, we CAN use the process outlined in the youtube video, but it's extremely difficult and costly to do.  I may just have to bite the bullet and DO IT before the next crop of tick eggs are laid. 

At least this process DOESN'T significantly injure anything else, including the field mice who live in the nests.

I understand the problem better than you think. Don't forget I studied arthropods, insects and spiders, including ticks, most all my life. We have serious tick problems here; Tick Fever, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever... 
I know the species, life cycle and vectors. Ixodida are arachnids. Although the term larvae is used for hatchlings, ticks don't pass through metamorphosis, like larvae of insects.  They are not larvae. They are like nymphs, passing through as instars that grow larger, but always with adult characteristics, until maturity when they reproduce. 

The tick tube idea may work, but will take a while, and there is a lot of chance. Permethrin must come into contact with the chitinous tick exoskeleton, and works by breaking down chitin. It doesn't work on eggs, but will on nymphs. The tube idea depends on mice carrying cotton to the next, and through that, permethrin coming into direct contact with the tick exoskeleton to break it down and kill it. The way that works in the lab is one thing. In the field is another. 

In terms of human ability to control, on a scale of 1 to 10, I put ticks at 10. They lived on earth for 400 million years almost unchanged, making them one of the most successful life forms on the planet. Conrol of anything this successful is very, very difficult. Look at the futile efforts to stop both killer bees and fire ants. Human interventions made almost no difference anywhere, and in both cases, climate became a control human efforts could not. 

You have my sympathy and understanding. Indeed I do understand- better than most. 

Board footera