Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2019 12:38 pm  #1

Do members like the various forums & boards split up as they are ??

Are there any others you'd like?

Are there too many?

5/14/2019 12:04 pm  #2

Re: Do members like the various forums & boards split up as they are ??

Who hates it?  I'd like to know your thoughts and feelings on what you hate and what you might like.

5/16/2019 3:03 pm  #3

If folks want changes, they need to SPEAK UP and say what they hate/like/want changed... We are NOT mind-readers.

I tightened them up by putting multiple forums into the General Discussion Forum.  That should make navigation a bit easier ??

5/17/2019 5:48 pm  #4

Trish aka Loresinger wrote:

We do things similarly check out www.fwis3.com .. our band of merry posters shrunk over the years but I don't have time to reach out to them all. On the upside, we created a hidden emergency contact list for frequent fliers in case anyone went missing for too long.

============================

Not sure what you mean about doing things similarly ??

If you're losing your webapps forum, feel free for you & your friends to take residence on the Cooking & Foodie board we've got here.  It's wide open for you if you want.  If you're not losing it, feel free to post your current link inside of the board so interested folks can see & post on both.

5/18/2019 7:13 pm  #5

Siagiah wrote:

Who hates it?  I'd like to know your thoughts and feelings on what you hate and what you might like.

When I have time to log on, I prefer to be able to look at a series of threads, follow the gist of multiple conversations via the headers involved and determine if there's anything I'd like to add or comment on. The current structure doesn't provide that in any way whatsoever. I have neither the time nor the inclination to do that. 
  If I feel like doing a lot of reading I can always pickup a good book

5/18/2019 7:49 pm  #6

SJW wrote:

Siagiah wrote:

When I have time to log on, I prefer to be able to look at a series of threads, follow the gist of multiple conversations via the headers involved and determine if there's anything I'd like to add or comment on. The current structure doesn't provide that in any way whatsoever. I have neither the time nor the inclination to do that. 

Along the lines of the old forum?

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

5/18/2019 8:35 pm  #7

Apparently, yes.  He prefers the THREADED forum that you can skim through with a glance.

I prefer that style too, but it's damned near IMPOSSIBLE to get in a forum and only available for a stiff price, unless we go to a simple message board (like our other new board) http://mb.boardhost.com/CivilizedDiscussion/  that offers virtually NOTHING beyond threaded posts.  I built that one first and then built the forum. 

I'm still looking for a forum that offers threads WITHOUT a huge cost... or a message board that offers goodies to posters and not JUST the threaded style.  So far, no luck on either. 

5/18/2019 8:37 pm  #8

This forum offers a look at all of the thread topics within each forum and regulars can & should use the "show new" feature at the top right of the INDEX PAGE to see new posts so they don't have to open every forum if they don't want to.

5/19/2019 4:32 pm  #9

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

SJW wrote:

Siagiah wrote:

Along the lines of the old forum?

Exactly.. If presented that way,I suspect most would agree.

5/19/2019 5:16 pm  #10

There are absolutely ZERO (free) FORUMS that offer fully threaded posts like the old forum.  In fact, I've only seen ONE forum that offered fully threaded posts at all... but for a hefty price.

The only way to get fully threaded posts is to use a free message board that offers virtually NOTHING else.  Absolutely NOTHING. 

I'm still hunting for a place that offers "something more than nothing" along with fully threaded posts. 

In the meantime, if you use the SHOW NEW REPLY function, you'll be able to see everything new since your previous visit.  If you don't know where it is, it's fully explained in the HELP/FAQ section.

5/25/2019 11:06 am  #11

Siagiah wrote:

Apparently, yes.  He prefers the THREADED forum that you can skim through with a glance.

I prefer that style too, but it's damned near IMPOSSIBLE to get in a forum and only available for a stiff price, unless we go to a simple message board (like our other new board) http://mb.boardhost.com/CivilizedDiscussion/  that offers virtually NOTHING beyond threaded posts.  I built that one first and then built the forum. 

I'm still looking for a forum that offers threads WITHOUT a huge cost... or a message board that offers goodies to posters and not JUST the threaded style.  So far, no luck on either. 

What is a huge cost? I thought these boards were fairly inexpensive.

5/25/2019 5:32 pm  #12

THIS board account is free.  The old webapps regular forums were free. They are free provided that there's enough traffic for the ads generated.  Using AdBlock gets rid of them effectively for me, but anyone who doesn't have it sees them.

However, paid accounts, with special privileges, extras, and NO ads are charged according to traffic.  For example, our old BLUE BOARD on the webapps forums would have cost me $500 a month to take it to a private board without ads, with 6 slots for "time outs", and a few other goodies. 

Not only does THIS forum, or any other forum but ONE that I've checked out, NOT offer threaded posts, but it's as expensive, if not more, to take it private.  There is virtually NO POINT for us to even think of that, given that all we'd really benefit from paying is "no ads" here.

The ONE forum that I looked at that DID offer threaded posts within individual forums was charged by the bandwidth used and how much storage was needed.  Giving us a mere 2000 post limit before deleting posts and 10 gig of data was going to cost approximately $150 a month.  We'd have used that up in a few DAYS, if that.  So, I can only guess what it might cost to lease it to meet OUR needs here. 

IF they'd offered the threaded forum for free, with ads, and some limits, then okay, I'd have gone with it, but they didn't. 

NO ONE offers a threaded forum for anything remotely reasonable.  We can get a threaded MESSAGE BOARD, and we have one, the link to it is at the bottom of these forums when your on the index page (or here http://mb.boardhost.com/CivilizedDiscussion/
  but it offers very little else AND has serious limits to bandwidth and data use.  That's what Ken C is going to, I believe, as he's built his new R&E on the same "message board" platform ours is on, but it will not be anywhere near as easily used as the current webapps board is.

We get SO MUCH more here within a forum, except for the threaded posts, which I DO miss too, but it also isn't costing us monthly.  I used to run 2 forums using platforms similar to this years ago and later on, had trouble adjusting to the threaded format on webapps afterwards, but now, I am so used to the threaded that this style now seems hard when it didn't before.  It's a matter of time to get used to it and knowledge of how to navigate it effectively so there is minimal wasted time doing so.

This forum, and almost every other one, including message boards, uses BBCode while webapps used HTML exclusively.  So there's a learning curve there too.

That's why I created so many pinned posts on teaching folks how to use these forums to their best advantage as well as how to quickly find new posts and popular threads.  I also made it sort by activity so it's easier to find the newest stuff that way too.

Board footera