Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2019 4:12 am  #1

Colorado Big Snow Winter

Colorado Big Snow Winter
Imagery and photographs taken this winter, set to my two "Colorado" songs, "Joy of Colorado" and "Summit" 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

3/28/2019 4:19 am  #2

Re: Colorado Big Snow Winter

Earlier this winter, we went up to South Park to see the White Bison. White buffalo, white bison are a rare event and sacred to Native Americans, to whom it was like the Star of Bethlehem to Christians- a portend harbinger of profound religious significance, usually through birth or appearance of a great and sacred individual destined to be a leader. THREE white bison occurred in the South Park herd. Now, we've had a record year for snow. What's next? 

3/28/2019 4:32 am  #3

Before the White Bison, I added to the Fourteener cycle, a piece on the most difficult and dangerous traverse between two Colorado fourteeners. The traverse from Capitol Peak to Snowmass Peak is so difficult and dangerous, only a handful of people have done it, all reporting the same thing; two solid miles of constant flirting with death from loose slabs and death blocks of rock, ready to slide or fall at a touch, guarding lots of fifth class rock climbing demand. Jim McKenzie and I did this traverse. 

If a ridge between two mountains can be called "evil," this is an evil ridge. It is called, by the few who did it, "Hell's Ridge," "The Ridge from Hell," "Satan's Traverse," and "Satan's Ridge from Hell."

The traverse from Capitol Peak to Snowmass Peak in the Elk Range of Colorado is the most difficult and dangerous traverse between two Fourteeners in Colorado, and maybe anywhere. It is 2.5 miles from peak to peak, across slabby, sometimes vertical terrain with huge, loose boulders, slabs and flakes poised to fall at the most gentle touch. It is exceptionally dangerous, and has been done by only a handful of climbers. Each reported the same thing: extremely dangerous.

Jim McKenzie and I did this in July 1978, in two days.

The rock craft on the ridge ranges from 5.7 to 5.9, and the rock is so loose and unstable, it is possible parts of a route described in one trip report will be gone.

Protection is sometime dubious, because a ten ton flake you have pro in may slide, taking you with it. Many large boulders and flakes settle a few inches when tested with a climber's weight. Sometimes they fall, and the drops of many hundreds of feet, sometimes a thousand feet reinforces the treacherous danger and sometimes extreme exposure.

There is rockfall often, from small rocks to slabs and boulders. The sound is unnerving. Jim McKenzie and I traversed this ridge in July 1978, from a camp at Snowmass Lake, with the route going to a pass and across the Pierre Lakes Basin. We intersected the Clark ridge, following it to K2, and across the Knife to Capitol's summit. We made the Capitol summit about 8AM, and went right to work on the traverse. The decent was downclimbing and two rappels.

The loose choss became worse as we progressed. Frequently we stepped on, or pulled a microwave to dishwasher sized boulder that rolled or slid loose and then fell. One that Jim stepped on went, followed by an army of bowling ball sized chunks. Later he stepped on a car hood sized flake overhanging the Pierre Lakes below, and the flake shifted, teetered, then went over the edge and fell about 500 feet, smashing in the talus below.

The "gendarmes" sections scared us because of the many huge boulders and flakes precariously balanced above us as we found a route. We found two pitons, probably left by Glenn Denny and Bill Forrest. We carried a rack of hexes, stoppers, and cracknups. Traverses across below the gendarmes varied from east and west sides. A few times we had to go over a gendarme. This section took a lot of time. Most pro we used were larger nuts- #4 - 8.

Long stretches of the ridge were slabby, and we hurried below the crest on the west side where we could, and along the crest when both sides were dangerous, usually away from the verticality above Pierre Lakes below on the east. We didn't make the Snowmass summit before dusk, and ended up spending the night in a bivouac way down the ridge.

Before sunrise next morning, we continued, climbing the steepening, loose, exposed and dangerous ridge to the Snowmass north summit. We reached the Snowmass summit at noon. We continued down the ridge to the standard Snowmass route, and then down the steep to the snow-field rock glacier, down to Snowmass Lake. We reached our camp about 5pm, and decided not to pack out, but catch up on the sleep we didn't get on the bivouac. Besides, it was eleven miles to pack back out to Jim's car.

4/04/2019 7:11 pm  #4

Wow Pikes.  As per your usual, you've outdone yourself !!

4/04/2019 7:12 pm  #5

BTW, when we watch your youtube videos here, does it count on youtube also? 

4/08/2019 11:46 pm  #6

It looks like the links vanished. 
I think views count. I don't know for sure.
I know likes count more than views. 

4/09/2019 9:09 pm  #7

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

It looks like the links vanished. 
I think views count. I don't know for sure.
I know likes count more than views. 

I see all of the videos.  What links are missing ??

4/09/2019 10:30 pm  #8

They're all missing. Just blank, empty spaces. 

I'll put one here, below. 

I didn't use their tool

4/09/2019 10:31 pm  #9

4/09/2019 10:34 pm  #10

I posted one outside their tool, and now they're all there. 
Weird.

4/17/2019 4:11 pm  #11

Actually, I could see them the whole time.  Sometimes Windows 10 does screwy things and doesn't show us stuff that everyone else can see.

5/09/2019 11:00 pm  #12

Elsewhere we briefly discussed snow. That a big snow was expected in the mountains today, 9 May 2019, and that is might snow "down here" today. It did. Snowed a few inches this morning, melted, then snowed off and on all day. Still snowing now, and once again, starting to stick and accumulate. Mountains are getting 2 - 3 feet of new snow.

I re-scored Handies Peak and recorded it today. It begins with a "commercial" for McIlhenny Tabasco sauce, because Handies was originally named Tabasco, for the Tabasco mine on its slopes, owned by the McIlhenny Company. You hear the banjo section (banjo section in an orchestra?) play chromatic chord scales up and down, and when the violins pluck the pizzicato downbeat, the theme "MAC-Il-hen-ny ta-ba-sco sauce! "MAC-Il-hen-ny ta-ba-sco sauce! Tabasco sauce, tabasco sauce..." 

The program music that follows is solemn, reflective, and contemplative. Handies has IMO the finest view of all Colorado mountains. We see and hear scenes from the mountain, its flora and fauna. Spacious, and expansive. From its summit, we see  and hear wilderness in every direction, mountains, horizon to horizon, as far as the eye can see. The wildflowers of American Basin are renown, and perhaps the finest in all Colorado. Protected all winter by a very deep mantle of snow. The music grows deep, and deeper with the mountain and summer summit panorama. A lonely English horn plays a solo motif, followed by a clarinet. Deep in the wilderness. Had to sound "deep." 

When you enter American Basin (by drone), the music becomes "American." What does "American music" sound like? Real American, that isn't like anything else, anywhere else? Tempo picks up, and moves into a Broadway-type melody and song. Music for an All American basin! Couldn't be jazz, But needed a flavor approaching jazz, without being jazz. An late 19th Century, early 20th Century, with carefully constructed 7th chords, for the mining activity that took place there. Still very gentle, for this is a fragile place of incredible wildflower and scenic beauty. It's a garden in every direction. 

That is followed by a short episode in 21st Century- the kind of music on the forefront today, exploring relationships in non harmonic harmony. You hear this as strangely "beautiful" and unexpected.  I won't go into the theory relationships, but its very distant. Takes you far away and delivers you back to the main theme. 

Sloan Lake is represented by the "Lake Music." A long glissade 3,000 feet down the mountain on snows that feed the lake, takes you to the hardship- the hardest foot race in the world, the Hardrock 100. A 100 mile race from Silverton, up and down through the San Juans, including Handies Peak summit at 14,055'. They run through snowfields, boulderfields, across tundra, through forests, cross creeks and rivers non stop for a hundred miles, taking better part of two days to do it. Beautiful scenery, and agonizing pain and hardship. Filmed during the race, on location. 

Last edited by Pikes Peak 14115 (5/09/2019 11:30 pm)

Board footera