Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/21/2019 10:46 pm  #1

Hello there!

Just thought I would pop in and say hi.  For those of you who visit Ken's yellow board, I am 'Ennui' over there.

I thought a change in name is in order for a new board.  Why dancing digits?  I am a crafter - crochet, sew, paint. . . .and play piano (have had some formal private training - but I am not above noodling something out by ear).

6/21/2019 11:18 pm  #2

Re: Hello there!

Hello DD... That's an adorable name...

I paint (water color, acrylics, and water mixable oils) .  Right now doing large portraits of 3 nephews & 1 niece (siblings) - children of one of my elder sisters. 

I also create & sell jewelry in 2 online stores (Etsy & Amazon). 

Sewing?  I wish.  But I muff up any machine I even look at and they never work right again.  I crocheted years back but cannot remember how to do it. 

OOOOH, you play piano ??  I love piano music. 

WELCOME !!

6/22/2019 12:19 am  #3

dancing digits wrote:

Just thought I would pop in and say hi.  For those of you who visit Ken's yellow board, I am 'Ennui' over there.

I thought a change in name is in order for a new board.  Why dancing digits?  I am a crafter - crochet, sew, paint. . . .and play piano (have had some formal private training - but I am not above noodling something out by ear).

Welcome. You sound interesting, and anyone who plays anything automatically has my ear and respect. You play by ear? So did Mozart. 

In fact, he was a terrible sight reader. His improvisation skills were so great, when another composer brought a score for his critique, he was terrified to play it. But when he tried, he resorted to his ear... and of course left the page. The other composer had a copy on which he made corrections as Mozart played, because his improv was so much better than the original written version! 

You learned to read with your ears and your eyes. That's an effective combination!

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

6/22/2019 9:18 am  #4

Sia - I don't do canvas painting, tho I think about giving it a try.  One never knows if one has hidden talents that have yet to be explored.  I paint models, so to speak - right now, I have making a birdbath out of a supersized clay pot (it has a relief on it) and an oversized tray.  I love, love, love crafting Halloween decorations - it attracts the little kids to my door (they are so cute in their costumes!) and the older kids (love having fun with them as well).  I have skeletons (admittedly store bought), carved pumpkins (of course!), tomato cage ghosts and spirits, a pirate's treasure chest (bought it unfinished and finished it to make it look old), snakes, am currently making a pumpkin head scarecrow and am planning a graveyard with a life size grave digger (made out of burlap which is very creepy), am planning on some life-size ghosts, maybe a witch and/or devil. . . . Halloween is the chance to be a kid again and have lots of fun without the stress that so often comes with Christmas.

Pikes - Thank you!  I can read music, but my sight reading skills need work.  I think ear training is essential and does not get enough attention when it comes to formal training.  Playing by ear is a good exercise for tuning up one's ear - just grab a song that one loves from any CD, sit down at the 88s, and give it a go.  It's also fun to tweak the music and give a try at one's own arrangements.

I also go to youtube, look at instructional videos, and change the arrangement to my pleasure.  Exploring all avenues is the best way to become a versatile musician, I think.

I am trying to recapture my skills as they once were - when I was a kid I had plenty of time to devote to music but as an adult, the demands on my time interfered heavily.  Now that we are empty nesters, and I no longer have my ill parents to care for, I have more time.  

I heard that the great Pavarotti didn't really know how to read music.  He would hire a musician to play a piano and work with him to learn the piece.  Have you heard the same?  He was such a great natural talent, IMO.  I am not a big fan of opera, but there are selected pieces that I do enjoy.

Last edited by dancing digits (6/22/2019 9:20 am)

6/22/2019 10:06 am  #5

I think Ken is very fair (too tolerant at times - but I understand he has demands on his time) and it's a shame that so many posters don't respect his efforts for them.  When I see a convo going down, I just abandon the thread.  

Yes, the board is better now, but it won't last sadly.  I am just tired to the constant garbage. I still work full time, have a home we are trying to renovate, lots of yard work - just not interested in spending so much time wading through the trash in order to find the occasional worthy discussion.  Even those tend to get trashed with the trolls. 

Thanks for the invite!!  It would be fun meeting some of the posters - always wonder what everyone looks like, who they are in RL, and if they match up to what my mind's eye currently sees them as.  

Last edited by dancing digits (6/22/2019 10:07 am)

6/22/2019 11:31 am  #6

dancing digits wrote:

Pikes - Thank you!  I can read music, but my sight reading skills need work.  I think ear training is essential and does not get enough attention when it comes to formal training.  Playing by ear is a good exercise for tuning up one's ear - just grab a song that one loves from any CD, sit down at the 88s, and give it a go.  It's also fun to tweak the music and give a try at one's own arrangements.

I also go to youtube, look at instructional videos, and change the arrangement to my pleasure.  Exploring all avenues is the best way to become a versatile musician, I think.

I am trying to recapture my skills as they once were - when I was a kid I had plenty of time to devote to music but as an adult, the demands on my time interfered heavily.  Now that we are empty nesters, and I no longer have my ill parents to care for, I have more time.  

I heard that the great Pavarotti didn't really know how to read music.  He would hire a musician to play a piano and work with him to learn the piece.  Have you heard the same?  He was such a great natural talent, IMO.  I am not a big fan of opera, but there are selected pieces that I do enjoy.

Synesthesia is a word for hearing with the eyes and seeing with the ears. Not all people "read" music the same way. In fact I realized such skills are as unique to us as our fingerprints and voices. Everyone has a different balance between use of ear and eye. Most favor one more than the other, but no two are alike. 

You Tube is a wonderful teaching forum. Do you know most US schools block it? The irrational fears this society has about children seeing inappropriate and wrong things! Most of the rare recordings of early 20th Century pianists are there- Lhevinne, Godowsky, Hofmann, Schnabel, Cortot et al. Operatic discussions of voicing there are absolute top quality- Metropolitan Opera quality. From time to time, I put up such a piece- usually with some historical significance. 

I am glad you are stretching out. Rubber bands aren't useful until stretched. Same exists for us. 

I am a composer and put my work on You Tube as creative commons. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

6/23/2019 3:25 pm  #7

dancing digits wrote:

I think Ken is very fair (too tolerant at times - but I understand he has demands on his time) and it's a shame that so many posters don't respect his efforts for them.  When I see a convo going down, I just abandon the thread.  

Yes, the board is better now, but it won't last sadly.  I am just tired to the constant garbage. I still work full time, have a home we are trying to renovate, lots of yard work - just not interested in spending so much time wading through the trash in order to find the occasional worthy discussion.  Even those tend to get trashed with the trolls. 

Thanks for the invite!!  It would be fun meeting some of the posters - always wonder what everyone looks like, who they are in RL, and if they match up to what my mind's eye currently sees them as.  

========================================

FYI, check out the HELP section for info on how to tweak this forum and your posts to please your personal tastes.  Also how to add pix, links, and youtube to play inside of your posts.

I agree with you on Ken being fair and sometimes too tolerant.  There are things he leaves that I wouldn't, but sometimes things he removes that I'd leave.  That's the subjective nature of moderators and it's perfectly cool.  Each board has its own "flavor" and expectations, which I actually like, personally.

It really upsets me that certain posters there don't respect him and take advantage of him constantly.  Especially the one pretending to have autism and the one who owns his own board but thinks he owns everyone else's too.

You're right that it won't last as long as there are NO changes made to prevent it exploding again.  We've all seen this too many times to expect anything else.

I suggested, again, to Ken that he might consider registration and deleting the "name" slot by auto filling it with the registration name because that would eliminate the proxy trolling and make it so MUCH easier to keep things under control there.  He could still allow whatever he wants to tolerate, but wouldn't be constantly chasing down trolls who don't respect him enough to NOT misbehave deliberately.  He said before that he doesn't want registration, but it's NOT the evil posters think it is.  In fact, it is in the best interests of mods AND posters who'll never be subjected to anonymous trolls again.

BTW again, if you click on "my options", you can add your own photo of whatever you like as well as your signature. You can choose how many topics to see on one page and more.

Board footera