Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2019 5:23 am  #1

Policing for Profit.

In USA the police can take your money and property even if they don't have any proof you committed any crime. The police can also confiscate thousands of dollars from people who only committed minor crimes that only have much smaller fines.  Does this seem fair?

2/21/2019 10:38 am  #2

Re: Policing for Profit.

Absolutely NO, it doesn't seem fair or even reasonable.  When police confiscate things at the scene of a crime, they are supposed to give it back, particularly after you've been exonerated. 

2/22/2019 11:54 pm  #3

A decade ago, I received a bogus traffic ticket I refused to pay, and demanded a hearing. Entering the court on that date, a climbing tool called a cracknup I keep on my key ring was removed, examined, and confiscated. The examining officer had no idea what it was. I use it for all kinds of thing- a digging tool, to hang my keys out of the way when I have no pocket, for ripping open packages, as a bottle and can opener, screw driver... I've even eaten out of a can with it. It's a fob that also saved my life, stopping a zipper fall on Half Dome. The traffic case was thrown out, as I knew it would be. But when I asked for my tool back, I was told no. 

At home I found a picture of one in a California climbing museum, and discovered it is considered a valuable antique. So I contacted the DA and wrote what happened. I said if my property was not returned to me, because of its antique status and value, I would file a theft charge against the sheriff, deputy, and court. I was told to come retrieve my property next day at 10AM. 

At the courthouse I went to a room with a single desk and a man seated behind it. He pulled open a drawer, took out my cracknup and slid it across the desk. Not one word was spoken by anyone. I said "thanks," took it and left. http://commonshopping.com/vintage-rock-climbing-chouinard-5-crack-n-up-aid-climbing-gear-piton/

That sheriff was removed from office due to several avenues of corruption, from embezzlement to sexual misconduct, wrongful termination and threats. He and some of his subordinates are in a world of trouble. Due to this and other things they did, they lost my trust forever. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

2/23/2019 12:40 am  #4

The days of these kinds of confiscations are limited. With recent rulings against egregious fines and rulings against police confiscations that were likewise egregious, I expect that we will see the laws tightened up.

2/24/2019 9:49 pm  #5

I certainly hope so.  that's outrageous.

Board footera