Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2019 12:31 am  #1

Trump keeps telling advisers he will 'sue' Democrats if they impeach

https://theweek.com/speedreads/846723/trump-apparently-keeps-telling-advisers-sue-democrats-impeach

Trump apparently keeps telling advisers he will 'sue' Democrats if they impeach him

June 12, 2019

"President Trump has threatened to take legal action if Democrats try to impeach him, musing that he'll 'sue,'" reports Ashley Parker at The Washington Post. "He has peppered confidants and advisers with questions about how an impeachment inquiry might unfold," and while he's "fixated on his belief that Democrats can't impeach him because he has done nothing wrong," he's also "intrigued by the notion of impeachment but wary of its practical dangers."

Trump has publicly said he would ask the Supreme Court to intercede if Congress tries to impeach him — a notion most legal scholars say is bonkers, since impeachment is spelled out and enshrined in the Constitution, though frequent Trump ally Alan Dershowitz told the Post he could envision a case where the Supreme Court would step in. But "Trump has also griped privately that if Democrats tried to impeach him, he would simply sue," Parker reports, citing interviews with 15 White House aides, outside Trump advisers, and GOP lawmakers.

His advisers are split on the political merits of impeachment: Many outside Trump loyalists argue it's a winner and perhaps his one path to re-election, Parker reports, while a larger group warns it would be a grueling and legacy-staining ordeal. Democrats are split, too. "I think this is another one of those things where Democrats are sort of out-thinking themselves," MSNBC's Rachel Maddow told Seth Meyers on Tuesday's Late Night. "You sort of can't game out what the political impact of impeachment is going to be — that's not the kind of process impeachment is."

Impeachment may be the least of Trump's worries. If Trump hangs in until the end of his first term and loses, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) told NPR in an interview Wednesday, the Justice Department "would have no choice" but to pursue criminal obstruction of justice charges against him. "Everyone should be held accountable," she said, "and the president is not above the law."

Peter Weber

6/17/2019 4:21 am  #2

Re: Trump keeps telling advisers he will 'sue' Democrats if they impeach

Plausible. Trump is a sewer. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

6/17/2019 9:29 pm  #3

What's crazy is that the current POTUS doesn't know that the SCOTUS cannot interfere in an impeachment case.

Plus, WHAT is he going to sue congress for ??  Impeaching him based on powerful evidence ??

WHO is going to buy into that nonsense in court ??

6/18/2019 3:32 am  #4

Trump knows his base will believe anything. He has been testing, and culturing them all along. 

Einstein wrote, "The best way to teach is by example." It is a model I always followed. In the limo interview with Stephanopoulos, I saw he wore a seat belt, and Trump did not. What struck me was the subtle, almost subliminal message- more than just safety.

Seat belts are required by law in all states. While tickets can't be given for failure to wear a seat belt as a primary offense, they can be as a secondary offense, and in that case, the driver would get the ticket for not requiring his passenger (Trump) to wear his seat belt. It was Trump doing as he always does, with total disregard for law. And, if caught, somebody else would have to pay for his disregard for it. 

6/18/2019 3:40 am  #5

Trump is also allegedly telling advisers and inner circle people, if the American people want him to stay on after his second term, he might consider remaining in office for two more years. He admires Putin and Xi in their positions as president for life.  That's not even joking material, and we know he's never "funny."  He is the symptom of a very sick society.

6/19/2019 11:14 am  #6

Does EVERY state have a seat belt law ??

His "jokes" about staying in office longer were obviously NOT jokes, but I'm sure that his aides found a way to explain to him that he should NEVER say something like that aloud again and, HOPEFULLY, clued him in to the constitution.

6/19/2019 4:16 pm  #7

Siagiah wrote:

Does EVERY state have a seat belt law ??

His "jokes" about staying in office longer were obviously NOT jokes, but I'm sure that his aides found a way to explain to him that he should NEVER say something like that aloud again and, HOPEFULLY, clued him in to the constitution.

Seat belts are an insurance industry tie. All but New Hampshire have some kind of law- primary or secondary. There are also ties to federal funding. In Colorado, you can't be stopped for not wearing a seat belt as a primary offense. But if you're stopped for something else and aren't wearing yours, its an automatic ticket you can't fight. 

I can't say I ever heard Trump tell a joke. Can't say I ever heard him laugh either. He isn't a funny man. 

IME people who say things and later call them jokes were dead serious when things were said, and "joke" is a lie effort to step out of trouble. 

6/20/2019 5:25 pm  #8

NH does have an under 18 law however:

"Seat Belt Law. When it comes to seat belt legislation, New Hampshire stands alone as the only state in the US where adults are not required to buckle up. New Hampshire does require that drivers or passengers under the age of 18 wear seat belts."

Most NH residents DO wear them, however.  NH doesn't require auto insurance or motorcycle helmets.  So, the rest of us have to have extra insurance for uninsured and underinsured drivers. 

Board footera