Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2019 12:58 pm  #1

Is popular music based on human brain wave patterns?

Is popular music based on human brain wave patterns?

I have no idea if this is factual or "old wives tale", but I've heard that many composers, but especially Beethoven, hear their own brain waves and compose music based on those waves, accounting for why some are so universally loved by infants as well as adults.  Something in us "recognizes" the brain waves as pleasant.  Is that even remotely true?  Could it have something to do with how so many songs and compositions have such similar melodies ??

It would also account for why the human ear so often hates melodies that make us feel disjointed internally while others love the same stuff ??  Also why some music makes some of us feel violent, mellow, happy, uncertain, etc., but especially violent.

My example is that most heavy metal rock makes me feel extremely anxious and often ANGRY.  So angry & anxiety ridden that I feel like I need to strike out at something.  Others absolutely LOVE it and I can't comprehend why.

People have attempted to use that as a defense for a few decades now and most dismiss it as pure poppycock... However, given that heavy metal music can and DOES make me feel homicidal and outrageously angry if forced to listen to it, it DOES make sense to me that there are many others out there who might react similarly, but they may act upon their feelings instead of shutting it off or removing themselves from the situation.  Especially if they are young, trying to fit in with their peers, and hanging out with others who love it but react so strongly as they do ??

Is this a reasonable idea? 

I know that the type of music I'm listening to while driving has a powerful effect on HOW I drive, whether aggressively or passively...

Board footera