Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2019 9:49 pm  #1

Former MA Gov. Bill Weld just said he will have a bi-partisan cabinet

Former MA governor, Bill Weld, is a great guy.  He just said he will have a bi-partisan cabinet if he beats tRUMP for the GOP ticket in 2020.  That used to be fairly normal at one time.
Perhaps it's time to go back to it ??

Weld was a successful GOP governor in MA, much like Mittens (Romney) because he reached across the aisle and worked WITH Democrats to accomplish mutual goals. 

Remember when American politics embraced that ?? 

5/01/2019 1:49 pm  #2

Re: Former MA Gov. Bill Weld just said he will have a bi-partisan cabinet

Bill Weld is a Republican I could vote for.  I hope he sticks it out and goes the whole route to challenging tRUMP for the GOP nomination.  The GOP would do well to take advantage of having a decent man vying for the job that could restore some dignity to them and allow them to DUMP tRUMP like the "gilded trailer trash" that he so obviously is. 

Money cannot buy class, dignity, or respect, all it can do is add a thin gold-plate to his circumstances.  When it rubs off, tRUMP is still trailer trash underneath it all.

5/01/2019 2:12 pm  #3

I listened to him in an interview on MSNBC. He was quite personable. I've grown to appreciate Romney more, as well. I wouldn't vote for either of them over any of the Democrats currently running, but I wouldn't be dismayed if they were elected, either.

5/01/2019 3:53 pm  #4

Amadeus wrote:

I listened to him in an interview on MSNBC. He was quite personable. I've grown to appreciate Romney more, as well. I wouldn't vote for either of them over any of the Democrats currently running, but I wouldn't be dismayed if they were elected, either.

===================================

It totally depends on which Democrat was running.  I'd vote for Biden over both of them.  I'm open to Pete and possibly Kamala.  I LOVE Bernie, but I don't think he's got a chance in hell of winning.  With tRUMP in the White House, someone who CAN win is paramount.

LYS though,  I wouldn't be upset if Weld won and not TOO upset if Romney did.   

Romney isn't a bad guy and I voted for him as governor of MA years back.  However, even though he stood up to tRUMP recently when no one else did, it doesn't erase the slime he gained when he kowtowed to tRUMP after his win and he went to see him about an appointment in his administration.  That SO disgusted me that it's going to take a lot for me to overlook it.  There is NO EXCUSE.  It's ambition and a shameless willingness to give up his own dignity & honor for an appointment to further his career.  Worse still, tRUMP made a "chump" out of him so he gave it all up for nothing.

Truth be told, almost anyone is better than tRUMP at this point. 

5/22/2019 11:46 pm  #5

Bill Weld worked with Hillary Rodham in preparation of legal material against Richard Nixon during Watergate. He is running for the GOP Presidential nomination because he is certain Trump is more corrupt than anything America ever saw in politics. 

Historians say no incumbent president ever won an election when challenged within his own party. What do you know of Bill Weld? He is new to me, but from what I learned, I could support him. 

The NY Times Article:

William F. Weld and President Trump not only seem to be from different political parties — they seem at times like they are from different planets.

Mr. Weld, the former Massachusetts governor who is challenging Mr. Trump for the Republican nomination in 2020, is betting that there are still enough Republicans and independents who find the president so objectionable that they can be moved do what voters rarely do: defeat the sitting president in a primary.

Mr. Weld supports abortion rights and gay rights, and he wants to talk about issues like climate change, which Mr. Trump has called “a hoax.”

He is an intellectual who quotes Shakespeare and the Federalist Papers, which can seem jarring in a political culture consumed with the insults and punch lines on the president’s Twitter feed.

The New York Times interviewed Mr. Weld about the states where he will start campaigning next month, his belief that the president has committed acts far worse than Richard Nixon, and what his high school production of “Julius Caesar” taught him about Mr. Trump’s exercise of power.

The interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.

Q. You’ve said you were appalled by the Mueller report but also that impeachment is not going anywhere in this Congress. So do you think it’s time to move on and to focus on issues that are more likely to change how people see President Trump, if that’s possible?

A. It’s stated pretty clearly that Mueller found no evidence of conspiracy. Fine. Move on from that point.The obstruction point is detailed in the report. Indeed, at the end of volume two, they say, “We were unable to form a judgment that he is not guilty of obstruction.” And this is after 80 pages of lurid obstruction of justice evidence, which is well over the bar beyond what Richard Nixon did, well over.

I want to stop there because you worked on Watergate as a lawyer. When you say that what Trump did went beyond the bar of what Nixon did, what do you mean? That’s pretty significant.

A fact that’s gotten too little attention is that a good deal of the analysis that went into the decision by the House Judiciary Committee to vote for the impeachment of Richard Nixon in 1974 was the analysis under what’s called the Take Care Clause.

The president takes an oath to uphold the Constitution. Among his duties specified in the Constitution is that he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed. Mr. Nixon violated that when he said to Haldeman and Ehrlichman, “We’ve got to stop this Watergate investigation. Tell them it’s national security, so they should just stand down.” That’s failing to take care that the laws be faithfully executed.

That’s just one thing. With Mr. Trump you have dozens of things that amount to failing to take care that the laws be faithfully executed. For example, in volume two of the Mueller report, the president is very clearly depicted as instructing senior national security officials, senior national intelligence officials and senior legal officials to lie. And they all say, “Well I can’t say that.” And he says, “Why not?” And they say, “Because that’s not true.” And the president basically says, “Your point?” And that’s just one in a litany of such examples.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/us/politics/bill-weld-donald-trump.html 

Last edited by Pikes Peak 14115 (5/22/2019 11:56 pm)

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

5/23/2019 5:26 pm  #6

I love Bill Weld.  He is my ex-governor from when I lived in MA.

He is a straight shooter, honest, willing and ABLE to work with Democrats.  Highly successful governor and very well liked.

I posted about him a few weeks ago on this board.  I can combine the threads?

5/23/2019 10:54 pm  #7

Siagiah wrote:

I love Bill Weld.  He is my ex-governor from when I lived in MA.

He is a straight shooter, honest, willing and ABLE to work with Democrats.  Highly successful governor and very well liked.

I posted about him a few weeks ago on this board.  I can combine the threads?

Do it. Good to know about him. I have a good feeling about him. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

5/24/2019 10:41 am  #8

On Romney, he got what he deserved for going to Trump. He got a well publicized nothing-burger. He got played. Although, I am inclined to believe that he was pushed to seek a position in the Trump Administration as a guardrail, not because he wanted power for the sake of power.

On the idea of a non-partisan cabinet, that isn't enough. The parties need to be broken. We can't do that while they hold so much political power. There are ways to reduce their political power and simultaneously moot gerrymandering while promoting the power of third parties. We need wonky people who care about our democracy in positions to craft the legislation that would do this.

We need a party that would be willing to sacrifice its own power to safeguard the future of the nation and its democracy.

Amadeus

5/24/2019 6:11 pm  #9

Amadeus wrote:

There are ways to reduce their political power and simultaneously moot gerrymandering while promoting the power of third parties. We need wonky people who care about our democracy in positions to craft the legislation that would do this.

We need a party that would be willing to sacrifice its own power to safeguard the future of the nation and its democracy.

Amadeus

==========================================

Any suggestions on those ways? I'm all ears...

Board footera