Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2019 8:09 pm  #1

So, I'm a The VOICE fan. Does anyone else watch it?

If so, speak up.  Who's your favorite ?  Mine is  Maelyn  My current team is Maelyn, LB, Jimmy, Jej, Domenic, Julian, Kalvin, and Dexter

I was very disappointed that Andrew J went home tonight and SHOCKED that Selkki was saved.

4/26/2019 9:34 pm  #2

Re: So, I'm a The VOICE fan. Does anyone else watch it?

I don't watch any competition shows, other than special sports events, like the Final Four, NBA, Superbowl, Olympics etc. 

A long time ago competitions were between individuals and the public judged. Viktor Steibelt and his wife took on Beethoven in Vienna. Each amassed a gallery of admirers. But Beethoven wasn't much interested in Steibelt or his music. It was only when Steibelt stole a Beethoven theme and made a fantasy of it, that Beethoven took interest, and it was irritation. At the Steibelt concert, Steibelt's gallery was enraptured. Beethoven had to do something. 

He left the audience, walked to the stage, grabbed the cello part, took it to the piano, shoved Steibelt out of the way, and put the music on the stand UPSIDE DOWN. Then with the "bird" finger, he began to pound out the music, all the while glaring at Steibelt, and his wife, holding her tamborine. 

Then Beethoven began to improvise on the upside down cello theme. He sat down and developed it as only he could- perhaps the greatest music improviser in history. Before he finished, Steibelt and his wife had left the hall, and made it a point never again ever to play in, or be in the same city as Beethoven. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

4/27/2019 12:49 am  #3

Well, that's an interesting story, but what does it have to do with my topic ??

The Voice is the ONLY reality competition that I watch.  Several of my friends and I gather on Facebook in a private forum where we chat about it live as it's on.  It's a fun show and ripe for camaraderie chatting about our favorites and their performances and predicting who's going to win.

I thought that maybe someone here might also be a fan.

As for your story, Beethoven was quite the ornery snip, eh?  But talented beyond imagination too.

4/27/2019 10:22 am  #4

Siagiah wrote:

The Voice is the ONLY reality competition that I watch.  Several of my friends and I gather on Facebook in a private forum where we chat about it live as it's on.  It's a fun show and ripe for camaraderie chatting about our favorites and their performances and predicting who's going to win.

As for your story, Beethoven was quite the ornery snip, eh?  But talented beyond imagination too.

What competitions were like back then, for comparison to now. I played in a few; Van Cliburn, and won NAYA. "Launched" my career. Adjudication was like a jury, and judges had scores in which they noted "concerns." Audiences were small, very quiet, and we all played the same pieces. 

I discovered going on tour was one of the loneliest jobs on earth. You're surrounded by people, none of whom are close, or friends. This persists for months. There is little time to practice, so skills decline. The promise of fame comes at a very high price, and financially if you break even, tour was successful. There is no place like home. 

Popular music competitions are a little different encompassing a wide range of styles. Judge critiques appear far less detailed and more subjective. In the occasions we heard a soloist sing opera, like Paul Potts, Jackie Evancho, Susan Boyle, and Andrew de Leon, not only did the audience hush to point a pin drop could be heard, the tears streaming down cheeks of the moved audience spectators said everything. Tears streamed down my face too. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

4/28/2019 7:51 pm  #5

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Siagiah wrote:

What competitions were like back then, for comparison to now. I played in a few; Van Cliburn, and won NAYA. "Launched" my career. Adjudication was like a jury, and judges had scores in which they noted "concerns." Audiences were small, very quiet, and we all played the same pieces. 

I discovered going on tour was one of the loneliest jobs on earth. You're surrounded by people, none of whom are close, or friends. This persists for months. There is little time to practice, so skills decline. The promise of fame comes at a very high price, and financially if you break even, tour was successful. There is no place like home. 

Popular music competitions are a little different encompassing a wide range of styles. Judge critiques appear far less detailed and more subjective. In the occasions we heard a soloist sing opera, like Paul Potts, Jackie Evancho, Susan Boyle, and Andrew de Leon, not only did the audience hush to point a pin drop could be heard, the tears streaming down cheeks of the moved audience spectators said everything. Tears streamed down my face too. 

=====================================

Yes, I've seen a couple other talent shows on youtube.  You're right about the judges there.

On the Voice, the four coaches have TEAMS.  They try to convince the talented singers to pick their team to compete on.  Yes, every performance is different but the coaches only judge them for the first couple of competitions.  After that, it's ALL audience voting. 

Gymnastics in the lower levels (less than level 7 USAG) all do precisely the SAME ROUTINES and they are judges similar to how you described your early years competitions.  In the upper levels, individual performances are expected but each one is responsible for including specific skills in any way they like and they are judged on performance, skill, and creativity.  There is subjectivity in that too.

I must admit that I wouldn't watch a music competition or a gymnastic competition where competitors perform identical pieces (unless my kids or a loved one was in them) because they are boring to me. 

The Voice is the only music competition show that I watch because I like the team format more than the judges in other shows.

4/30/2019 4:24 pm  #6

I can't say I've ever watched more than 30 seconds of the voice, but the idea of comparing voices is endlessly fascinating. You can do it by era, by genre and with all sorts of sub-categories, since the best singer and the best voice don't always belong to the same person.
  My parents came out of the 1950's. so their record collections included lots of American Pop Music and more than a little Doo Wop,, plus the folk era of the 60's. 
  At any rate, I have opinions related to singers of almost every genre across the entire period of acoustical recording--From Doo Wop to Opera.
  Here's a thought. If you are going to listen to a pop singer for 15-20 minutes, you choose Frank Sinatra in his late prime, but if you're going to listen for an hour, you're better off with Tony Bennett, who had far better taste.
   Does this kind of "competition" resonate with you in any way?

Last edited by SJW (4/30/2019 4:25 pm)

Board footera