Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2019 12:00 am  #1

At what point in pregnancy should be the abortion cut off point IYO ?

REPOSTED: 
At what point in pregnancy should be the abortion cut off point IYO ?

Please offer some support for WHY you feel your cut off** is the most appropriate and would you have some exceptions that would go past that point?

**Obviously, I'm not talking about crazy, unusual emergency situations that could occur, but routine pregnancies.

===========================================
I messed up your post, Sia...please re-do!
So sorry...I was answering, and the damn thing defaulted to Edit mode... 
Poppet

Sia:  No problem.  It happens.  I think I restored it ??  If not, then que sera sera. 

Last edited by Poppet (6/19/2019 1:27 pm)

6/18/2019 12:12 pm  #2

Re: At what point in pregnancy should be the abortion cut off point IYO ?

This is an interesting question.  I happened to be at the Museum of Science yesterday in Boston and they had a demonstration exabit on birth.   If you base your decision with your eye's then you cannot abort after 16 weeks.  To me that looks like a baby.   If you go based on the premise of when the fetus can sustain life it would be in the 22-24 week period, and with technology advancements that could drop lower.  I just wonder what the quality of life is for the child born that early.

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - JFK

6/18/2019 4:47 pm  #3

Re: At what point in pregnancy should be the abortion cut off point IYO ?

I'm thinking that somewhere around 14 weeks for elective abortions with no specific medical reason to abort. That gives a woman 3 1/2 months to decide what to do and is well before viability and the possibility of cognitive function.

I'd allow up to 26 weeks for documentable medical reasons such as the mother's life being threatened or the fetus having severe medical issues.

Beyond 26 weeks, INDUCE LABOR and give the fetus a fighting chance. A fetus has a fighting chance at some point beyond 24 weeks. Babies born earlier don't typically survive, although a very rare one does. They usually face a lifetime of severe medical issues prior to 28 weeks gestation, but a few have survived as early as 21 weeks.

In most cases where a woman's health is at risk, if an infant has passed the 24 week mark, doctors will attempt to get as far as possible, with the woman hospitalized, to increase the chances of survival of the fetus while being at the ready to save the life of the mother however necessary.

We went through all of that last year with our eldest daughter. She was critically ill with a life-threatening intestinal puncture (from Crohn's complications) and a raging peritoneal infection which made itself known when she was 21 weeks pregnant. She was hospitalized in Brigham & Women's for the rest of her pregnancy while on heavy antibiotics to resolve the infection and a feeding tube because she couldn't eat.  She lost so much weight that she was nearly skeletal, but she pulled through it.  It was THE worst experience of her young life and ours too. 

Doctors were able to get our granddaughter, Evelyn, through to 32 weeks gestation before it became necessary to induce labor immediately to save both of them as J had been sporadically bleeding for a couple of weeks, but it became steady and a deadly hemorrhage became very likely. Evelyn was born weighing barely 4 lbs but she thrived and has grown into an adorable little cherub who is now almost 14 months old.

Our daughter had to have resection surgery to remove her severely damaged ileum section of her intestines and then to resection the large and small intestines back together and then have a feeding tube for another 2 months until it was healed enough to eat food.

So, I'm very much aware of the need for legal abortion to save the life of the mother. NO ONE aborts a fetus so far along without a REALLY GOOD REASON and NO doctor would do it anyway. Beyond the first trimester, abortion is NOT a simple procedure and it requires a doctor.

Board footera