Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2019 8:01 pm  #1

What kind and how many pets do posters have ??

What kind and how many pets do posters have ??  What are their names ?  Do you have any cute or interesting stories about them?

I have a dog.  Kali is a field style English Setter tri-color.  She weighs in at 40 lbs., give or take a pound at any given time.  She is a sweetheart and loves almost everyone.  However, she does NOT like small children.  Especially little girls with high pitched voices or men with dark hair & beards.  Or shirtless.  She barks like a nut at those men and runs away from or growls at children.  I'm pretty sure that someone abused her as a pup, most likely a shirtless man with dark hair & beard.  As for the dislike of children, that stems from 3 of my young nieces teasing her and one falling on her, injuring her paw.  Since then, she hides from children.

When she came to us, she was 7 months old and weighed 29 lbs.  She wasn't well apparently.  She had Giardia and a respiratory infection that had gone untreated.  We had a heckuva time getting her healthy.  For the price of her, she should have been the picture of health.  Unfortunately, she wasn't.  There was NO WAY we were going to send her back though.  We decided to get her healthy and to keep her.

She flew here to NH from Minnesota in February 2010, a month after our beloved little Charlie died suddenly from a massive heart attack at age 4 due to an unseen heart defect (according to his autopsy).  He was also a tri-color, English Setter, field style.  He weighed 48 lbs and was much taller and bigger than our little Kali is.   He was THE sweetest dog I've ever known.  I still miss him.

Kali was born in Virginia, sold to a kennel in Maryland at  9 weeks old, lived there for a few months before being sold to Berg Brothers in Minnesota.  She was being trained as both a hunting dog and for field trial competitions.  She comes from champion stock with parents and grandparents who were champion field trial dogs.  Poor Kali has asthma and she is headstrong, so Berg Brothers decided to sell her on the open market.  I found her on line while searching for a dog similar to our little Charlie.  So, I bought her and had her flown here on Delta Airlines. 

What a flipping nightmare THAT was.  She had to change planes in Detroit and was expected to arrive in Manchester, NH around 7PM.  When she wasn't on the connecting plane, we freaked out and TSA workers in Manchester put out a search for her.  After a few hours, they found her sitting out, all alone, shivering in her airline transport kennel on an ice cold loading dock in an airport in Detroit.  Poor thing was soaked in her own urine, starving, and freezing cold. 

They put her on the next flight out and she finally arrived at 2AM.  We brought her home and fed & bathed the poor thing.  She clearly still remembers that nightmare, 9 1/2 years later because she begins shaking and terrified every time she sees a travel kennel, whether in our basement or even on TV.  Obviously, we never used a kennel to train her.

She's a great pup.  Loving and friendly.  She's an excellent watchdog too.  What she isn't is a competition dog OR a hunting dog.  LOL... Even though it's in her genes and she comes from a long line of champions, SHE is afraid of water and will NOT go outside in the rain or if there are puddles in her way.  LOL.  What a spoiled little imp she is.

She has her own tempurpedic bed in our room and her spot to sit in the house is right beside me on the couch.   She begs for cookies and chicken strips, playing me for a sucker, as my husband calls it.  (He's right, I always give them to her).  But he loves her too.  She jumps into his lap all the time to sit with him whenever he sits in his favorite recliner. 

But she follows me around.  When I'm gone for a few days every week (taking care of Evelyn), she's listless until I come home.  Sometimes I take her with me because she's so upset that I've left.

So, what's your pet story ??

5/18/2019 11:41 am  #2

Re: What kind and how many pets do posters have ??

I thought I replied. Who knows?
Maybe I didn't submit. 

Three cats, three dogs, two children. 

All three dogs are geriatrics.
Savannah has Beethoven's Syndrome. Lost her hearing. 
Tucker has bionic hips and knees. He's worth more than I am. 
Rags is a snively little hair covered turd. 

All cats are black. 
One geriatric female is incontinent. Goes by names Taylor, Muffler and more colorful adjective enriched metaphors. Spends her days and nights hocking up hairballs, hiding, and hissing. 
The two males are young Blacks on the prowl. Geordi and Data. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

5/19/2019 2:44 pm  #3

Trish aka Loresinger wrote:

Four cats, 2.5 dogs. The cats are Casper (all white but for one black thumb print on his head) who only wants to snuggle with me in bed. He is terrified of people standing up. Cedar who is kind of like "mama cat" for the house. Gracie who is ANYTHING but graceful LOL. And Sg. Toes who has 7 claws on each front paw, and 6 on each back. He is way too smart for his own good. All are rescues.

In dogville we have a golden mix (tango) and a weiner/lasa mix named HipHop (he's the .5) and my housemate has a pit named beast who is a big baby and has no idea that he's not HipHop's size.

===========================

Nice...  Funny how animals don't seem to comprehend their own size or strength sometimes.  Got any pix ??

Hey, your housemate ??  Not your husband ??   Is he no longer able to live at home ?? 

5/19/2019 2:47 pm  #4

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Maybe I didn't submit. 

All cats are black. 
One geriatric female is incontinent. Goes by names Taylor, Muffler and more colorful adjective enriched metaphors. Spends her days and nights hocking up hairballs, hiding, and hissing. 

=======================

I take it that someone in the house adores the pup with the bionic limbs and felt it was reasonable to spend so much on an elderly dog ??  (I get that though)  Guessing it wasn't you ??

Also, SOMEONE is a Trekkie ??

5/19/2019 10:54 pm  #5

Siagiah wrote:

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Maybe I didn't submit. 

All cats are black. 

=======================

I take it that someone in the house adores the pup with the bionic limbs and felt it was reasonable to spend so much on an elderly dog ??  (I get that though)  Guessing it wasn't you ??

Also, SOMEONE is a Trekkie ??

Yes to the Trekkie. We're all Trekkies here. 
I paid for one new bionic leg. X and X's mother paid for the other. 
I poke fun at them [dogs] with great fondness. I love them dearly.
They're family. 
Even the hair covered turd.
I am always very gentle, kind, and loving with and toward them all.
I like them better than people. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

5/19/2019 11:09 pm  #6

Animals often are nicer than many humans ever are.

That's awesome that you were able to get your pup fixed with bionic legs.  Do you have any pix of him ?  or all of them ?

5/21/2019 2:42 pm  #7

I have one cat, a small 13-year-old (but very lively and still agile) long-haired tortoiseshell named Spookie. She has a very soft coat (like bunny fur), a snorty purr, and is rather more affectionate than torties tend to be (although still possessing considerable "tortitude"). She's never been a lap cat (fine with me..., but is very bonded, continually "orbiting" (that is, staying close to me, usually fetching up where she can see me, sometimes within petting range). She's the best mouser I have ever seen, although since my return to Portland (from Southern Oregon) about ten years ago, she's had no real opportunity to indulge that.

I adore her, frankly...

Last edited by Poppet (5/21/2019 2:43 pm)

5/22/2019 12:54 am  #8

Poppet wrote:

I have one cat, a small 13-year-old (but very lively and still agile) long-haired tortoiseshell named Spookie. She has a very soft coat (like bunny fur), a snorty purr, and is rather more affectionate than torties tend to be (although still possessing considerable "tortitude"). She's never been a lap cat (fine with me..., but is very bonded, continually "orbiting" (that is, staying close to me, usually fetching up where she can see me, sometimes within petting range). She's the best mouser I have ever seen, although since my return to Portland (from Southern Oregon) about ten years ago, she's had no real opportunity to indulge that.

I adore her, frankly...

====================

Spookie is the coolest name.  I'm not familiar with "tortoiseshell" as a cat type ?? 

I can just picture the two of you meeting each other... warily eyeballing one another until you each decided that the other wasn't a threat and would be acceptable company... But, wait, there will not be TOO much snuggling, but just enough to satisfy without getting sappy.

No mice to speak of in Portland ??  or were you rural while in Oregon ??

5/22/2019 12:00 pm  #9

I'm sure there are mice in Portland, but there haven't been any in the places I've lived in since I got her. The place I was in in Southern Oregon for a few years was in a rural area on the banks of the Rogue River. Mice galore (until Spookie wiped them out...completely).

Tortoiseshell coats (as well as calico coats) have actually been associated with somewhat different behavior patterns n cats...there was a legit scientific study. Torties can be...difficult.  Your meeting scenario was not too far off! She was a 16-week-old kitten at the time, though, and warmed up (and even bonded) really quickly.

5/22/2019 6:07 pm  #10

Poppet wrote:

I'm sure there are mice in Portland, but there haven't been any in the places I've lived in since I got her. The place I was in in Southern Oregon for a few years was in a rural area on the banks of the Rogue River. Mice galore (until Spookie wiped them out...completely).

Tortoiseshell coats (as well as calico coats) have actually been associated with somewhat different behavior patterns n cats...there was a legit scientific study. Torties can be...difficult.  Your meeting scenario was not too far off! She was a 16-week-old kitten at the time, though, and warmed up (and even bonded) really quickly.

=========================

Really, even calico cats?  I've had a few calicos when I was a kid.  I don't recall them acting differently, but then, who knows?  I was a kid.  I had a dog and the dog was lovable and cuddly.  The cats, all of them, were cuddly when they felt like it.  When they didn't, they'd scratch if not allowed to get down if picked up.

We have a TON of field mice around here.  VERY RURAL.  We don't have a cat though. Husband & one daughter are allergic.

5/23/2019 12:39 pm  #11

Trish aka Loresinger wrote:

I have three housemates renting from me in order to keep my family afloat LOL. 

================

Ahhh, okay, I get it.  I'm so glad for you that it's possible to do that to keep your home and family afloat. 

6/22/2019 11:15 pm  #12

None.  

Use to have - two dogs (German Shepherds my fav), two tiger stripped cats (one gray, one orange), a miniature rabbit (light gray with dark gray points), fresh water tropical fish and gold fish, a Palomino Quarter Horse.

Kept all of my pets until we lost them to old age.  It would break my heart if I ever had to give any of them up.  

I now have multiple bird feeders - suet for the Woodpeckers, Nyger seed for the finches, mixed seeds (black oil sunflower, nuts, berries, peanuts, and more) for the song birds,  four nectar feeders for the Hummingbirds.

My feathered friends include Robins, Crows, Ravens, Blue Jays, Nuthatches, House Finches, Purple Finches, Goldfinches, Cardinals, Tufted Titmouse, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Red bellied Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, Juncos, Sparrows, Ruby throated Hummingbird, Catbird, Morning Doves. . .I've heard the calls of Common Loons, Owls, seen Red-tailed hawks and even a Bald Eagle.

6/23/2019 12:53 am  #13

dancing digits wrote:

None.  

Use to have - two dogs (German Shepherds my fav), two tiger stripped cats (one gray, one orange), a miniature rabbit (light gray with dark gray points), fresh water tropical fish and gold fish, a Palomino Quarter Horse.

Kept all of my pets until we lost them to old age.  It would break my heart if I ever had to give any of them up.  

I now have multiple bird feeders - suet for the Woodpeckers, Nyger seed for the finches, mixed seeds (black oil sunflower, nuts, berries, peanuts, and more) for the song birds,  four nectar feeders for the Hummingbirds.

My feathered friends include Robins, Crows, Ravens, Blue Jays, Nuthatches, House Finches, Purple Finches, Goldfinches, Cardinals, Tufted Titmouse, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Red bellied Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, Juncos, Sparrows, Ruby throated Hummingbird, Catbird, Morning Doves. . .I've heard the calls of Common Loons, Owls, seen Red-tailed hawks and even a Bald Eagle.

===========================

We had a German Shepherd for about 12 years until he was torn up so badly by coyotes that we had no choice but to put him down.   Heartbreaking.   They are beautiful dogs, huh?

My Mom was a tropical fish person and so is my oldest daughter.  I like to watch them occasionally, but find them tedious most of the time.

My husband had a pet bunny for many years.  Heartbroken when Pepper Rabito died.  Gray & purple.

A Palomino horse? WAY COOL. 

Birds can be so sweet.  I had parakeets for years.  MUCH easier when they are wild, innit?     We see bald eagles & red tailed hawks pretty regularly.  Very Rural here.   I'd love to see all of the birds you see at your feeders.  But, we don't put them up anymore because of the bears.  The bears go crazy over the bird seed.  I take it that you don't have bears ??

Board footera