Welcome to The New BLUE BOARD FORUMS

Also, please feel free to visit our simple THREADED message board.

To subscribe to our RSS feed
to see new & updated posts automatically

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2019 9:30 pm  #1

Do you think that violent video games have desensitized its players?

Do you think that violent video games have desensitized its players to horrific violence and cruelty? 

Are video games responsible for some or all of the violence that violent game fans do ??

Is it the violent games' "fault" or do already violent people gravitate to the violent games ??  (which came first ?)

Should children be allowed to play violent video games ??  If so, at what age do you think it's okay ??

4/26/2019 11:53 am  #2

Re: Do you think that violent video games have desensitized its players?

Siagiah wrote:

Do you think that violent video games have desensitized its players to horrific violence and cruelty? 

Are video games responsible for some or all of the violence that violent game fans do ??

Is it the violent games' "fault" or do already violent people gravitate to the violent games ??  (which came first ?)

Should children be allowed to play violent video games ??  If so, at what age do you think it's okay ??

Without a doubt I remember when video games first appeared, and those students who became addicted. Their grades fell, their involvement in school, life, and family decreased and declined, and they became more agitated and violent, landing them in trouble with authority more often. 

There was a time when in chemistry class, Briggs-Rauscher, or phenolphthalein - resazurin reactions generated excitement and applause. Nowadays if the chemicals don't blow up the classroom, or school, the demonstration is boring. 

Remember the joke about Irish whiskey? Video games are our whiskey. They didn't "slow us down" as much as they separated our population reciprocal to the level of individual addiction. Addicts are less productive, regardless to what they're addicted. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

4/26/2019 12:39 pm  #3

I disagree.
I grew up during the explosion of video game evolution.

I do not think that violence in video games are responsible for violence by those who play those games.

What I think is that there are people who should not expose themselves to violence because they do not process violence well. It doesn't matter whether it is in video game form, movie form, book form, real life form, etc.

Amadeus

4/26/2019 2:07 pm  #4

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Siagiah wrote:

Pikes wrote: Without a doubt I remember when video games first appeared, and those students who became addicted. Their grades fell, their involvement in school, life, and family decreased and declined, and they became more agitated and violent, landing them in trouble with authority more often. 

There was a time when in chemistry class, Briggs-Rauscher, or phenolphthalein - resazurin reactions generated excitement and applause. Nowadays if the chemicals don't blow up the classroom, or school, the demonstration is boring. 

Remember the joke about Irish whiskey? Video games are our whiskey. They didn't "slow us down" as much as they separated our population reciprocal to the level of individual addiction. Addicts are less productive, regardless to what they're addicted. 

=====================================

So, are you saying that you think that the video games CORRUPTED the students ?  Or is it possible that "corrupted" students are more apt to gravitate to violent games ?

Are you suggesting that the violent video games should be banned?  I'm not sure from your response.

4/26/2019 2:15 pm  #5

Amadeus wrote:

I disagree.
I grew up during the explosion of video game evolution.

I do not think that violence in video games are responsible for violence by those who play those games.

What I think is that there are people who should not expose themselves to violence because they do not process violence well. It doesn't matter whether it is in video game form, movie form, book form, real life form, etc.

Amadeus

==================================

I was never a fan of video games and especially not violent ones.  However, I have friends and family who are/were.  What I observed is that, while many of the males enjoyed the games (vs females who played significantly less), extreme violence and all,  the only ones who behaved violently outside of playing were the ones ALREADY prone to being violent or volatile.

There are many who play the violent games, but who wouldn't dream of hurting someone IRL. 

It makes me wonder if, for some, playing violent games is an outlet for any violence they might feel and it has NO affect on them IRL ... while others play them because they ARE violent in every area.

What I wonder is if YOUNG children might become desensitized to violence to where they are no longer horrified by violence in real life ??  How young is too young to play them ??

Any thoughts ??

4/26/2019 2:50 pm  #6

Siagiah wrote:

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Siagiah wrote:

Pikes wrote: Without a doubt I remember when video games first appeared, and those students who became addicted. Their grades fell, their involvement in school, life, and family decreased and declined, and they became more agitated and violent, landing them in trouble with authority more often. 

=====================================

So, are you saying that you think that the video games CORRUPTED the students ?  Or is it possible that "corrupted" students are more apt to gravitate to violent games ?

Are you suggesting that the violent video games should be banned?  I'm not sure from your response.

It probably goes both ways. Has some of both in it. 

But I watched a problem unfold, as did many of my colleagues, and we talked about it in depth.

At the time the gaming industry was quick to produce studies that showed no ill effects. Kind of like tobacco companies that produced studies showing cigarettes were safe and didn't cause cancer. Television watching also produced erosive behaviors, and those led both industries to quantify their products with labels of suggested age appropriateness. 

I don't advocate banning much of anything. But decisive information needs to be handy and accurate. 

You can look away from a painting, but you can't listen away from a symphony

4/26/2019 3:54 pm  #7

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Siagiah wrote:

Pikes Peak 14115 wrote:

Pikes wrote:
Without a doubt I remember when video games first appeared, and those students who became addicted. Their grades fell, their involvement in school, life, and family decreased and declined, and they became more agitated and violent, landing them in trouble with authority more often. 

======================
Siagiah wrote

========================
Pikes Peak 14115 wrote
It probably goes both ways. Has some of both in it. 

But I watched a problem unfold, as did many of my colleagues, and we talked about it in depth.

At the time the gaming industry was quick to produce studies that showed no ill effects. Kind of like tobacco companies that produced studies showing cigarettes were safe and didn't cause cancer. Television watching also produced erosive behaviors, and those led both industries to quantify their products with labels of suggested age appropriateness. 

I don't advocate banning much of anything. But decisive information needs to be handy and accurate.

=========================

SIAGIAH RESPONSE: 
  Yes, there needs to be age appropriate LABELS with disclaimers and restrictions on sales.  However, many parents purchase the games for their children, effectively bi-passing age restriction sales, whether deliberately or ignorantly.

IMHO, parents need to be the general arbitrator of what their children can or cannot watch, play with, own, etc.  However, IF parents refuse to supervise their children--  schools and law enforcement should have the ability to address the situations if the kids act out negatively or get themselves into trouble.  Those children adversely affected by violent video games, movies, or whatever WILL eventually act out and be identified, but we can only hope that it is sooner rather than later and that the acting out is "fixable" instead of so damaging that there's no repairing the situation.

I'm not a good judge of whether or not violent games have any merit or redeemable qualities because I ABHOR violent games, movies, TV shows and so I would sooner run over hot coals barefoot than watch or play them.  My daughters aren't into video games either.  I know that they can tend to be addictive for those who have easily addicted personalities and that's a BAD thing. 

Board footera